Powdered kelp help!

Howldaloom

Jan 23, 2013
I found a a powdered kelp online £9.95 for 2.5kg of kelp.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pegasus-Health-Seaweed-2-5-kg/dp/B00792F2C8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_grocery_7]Pegasus Health Seaweed 2.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies[/ame]

It is for horses but it does state that it has nothing added or taken away.

It states that 100g plus is suitable for horses.

So surely just sprinkling on my birds food would be ok?

It seems alot cheaper because its bulk and has "horse" on the front.

Can i use this?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I guess when adding things to my birds diet i consider the benefits, what are you hoping to gain ? I'd be careful, parrots aren't used to things with high iodine contents such as some types of kelp. Is there some issue you are trying to resolve ? I would tend to stick with more terrestrial grasses/plants, IMO.

Last edited:
OP
H

Howldaloom

Jan 23, 2013
Sorry i should be more specific!

I do not keep parrots but finches. Finches require more iodine then other birds esp during breeding.

I usually supply granulated kelp in fingers pots. But it is £6 for 450g. So want to get a cheaper version. my cats also eat kelp soooo maby switch cats to it.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Sorry , not much help with finches. maybe some others will chime in and help.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Please verify its source. Do not purchase any kelp from Japan.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
could you supplement them with liquid iodine? If you did buy the kelp for horses, it's tough to gage how much would be sufficent for such a small bird, too much would cause harm.
I do that for all my birds including my finches, but I've never tried kelp.
I'm going to look up the benefits on kelp for birds though :)

you can try this link....I just came across it

Liquid Kelp for birds from World Organic
www.allbirdproducts.com

Last edited:

Most Reactions