Poweder or Liquid Vitamins - Can you recommend one?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I agree, it is easy to see how people could get carried away with vitamin supplements. I have to keep myself in check a lot of times. My bird is not too crazy about pellets, though I try to have it be a part of his daily diet if even miniscule. Instead he eats fresh produce, rice, some animal proteins, seeds, nuts, etc. So I go the route of vitamin supplementation, to cover parts in the diet that may be lacking. With this topic of vitamin toxicity via supplementation, I often wonder how much different a pelleted diet is? Pellets are vitamin fortified and a bird eating a lot of that will have the same build up of vitamins potentially leading to toxicosis that the article discussed. But that's a whole can of worms which I know is a controversial subject in itself~!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I doubt you'd have too much worry in over supplementation by pellets, given that the mere weight of pellets will temper amounts ingested, then factor in the water a bird will drink to compensate for the dry foodstuff, I doubt there'd be any chance for toxification.....

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
I use Nekton, the store I bought Oliver from sold it to me along with his food he was weaned on there. However, I am thinking of switching to Higgians Mayan conure food, that has no artifial colors, preservatives and has been pollen added. Should I still use Nekton if I am giving Higgins as his diet? He is very picky when it comes to pellets, so for that he gets Lafbetter clusters for conures. But I don't want to cause vitamin supplement toxicity so how do I know when it is unsafe to give Nekton with changed diets and different foods. We are still trying to find Oliver's " sweet spot" for likes and dislikes.

Reni

Sep 9, 2016
Media
Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Two cockatiels and a Green Cheek Conure.
I asked my vet about this when I got Mango checked over She said that I should not give any vitamins as this is in the pellets and parrots could get an overdose of it which is not healthy either.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I like natural choices myself, just make sure anything you add, even natural foods are easy on kidneys. I feed mine bee pollen occasionally as well, however I know it has protein in it..not sure how much, so I'd have to find out to be sure it would be safe for someone with kidney issues. A lot of herbs would probably be healthy and safe, but I'd still check each one to make sure there is no contradictions. Overall though it's easier and safer to use herbs I'm sure, you are less likely to give too much of a specific vitamin that may be harsh on the old guy.

Most Reactions