Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I would sure appreciate some prayers for my father in law, Keith. (age 79) Last night he was taken to the ER because he was acting delusional. He had a fever of 103 (hence, the reason for acting delusional). Once they got his fever down, he acted normal again. The reason for the fever was because a week ago, he was out at their family hunting camp and tried to move a picnic table onto it's side while somebody else was mowing. The table edge came down and cut up his lower legs really badly. I don't know if he told anybody or not, my husband and I had been out to wax his vehicles for him a couple days before and he didn't mention it. The wounds are badly infected, and the infection is in his bloodstream. He says he's not in any pain, but his legs sure look like they hurt to me! Big black scabs, and the skin around the wounds is very red. They also said he may have a bit of pneumonia. He's in the hospital on IV antibiotics for a few days.

My husband and I along with a few other family members stayed at the ER with him last night for 5+ hours until he got settled into a room. When we visited today, he seemed in good spirits, so hopefully the antibiotic will help quickly. He certainly hasn't had any problem with his sense of humor! Last night he tried to pick up the woman who came to take him for an xray and cat scan! He asked her if they were going to make out in the closet! LOL. Then when he got tired of the repeated "what's your name?" "When's your birthdate?" that they have to keep asking before doing anything, he replied "Muhammad Ali" Funny guy! He seems to be enjoying giving the nurses and doctors a tough time haha.

He can use good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and healing! Thank you!

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
So sorry to hear that.....That can be really awful when the infection gets in your blood stream . Will definitely keep him in my prayers and hope he is better soon.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Your father-in-law is in my thought and prayers.
I know how close you are to him, thank God family are there for him.
Note an easy thing to go through, especially at his age.
Having a great sense of humour, is great, he sounds like a realy mischevious character.
Please keep us updated
X X X

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Oh I'm so sorry Rio Mom, I told my family and we will all be thinking of you guys.
Please keep us updated on his progress, and his jokes.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope he recovers soon, he will be in our prayers!!!

Kern2012

Jun 9, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Parrots
Cinnamon GCC and GCC
Sepsis is what they call an infection in the bloodstream, that is what took my grandfather a couple years back accompanied with other problems... But Im sending Prayers Your Way.. God be with you and your family

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts! I know it will help him to get well!

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I hope everything goes well with him and he makes a speedy recovery! I'm sure the staff appreciates his sense of humor! Hopefully his sense of humor will help him recover more quickly instead of being depressed and giving up. Hospitals can be very depressing.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Thinking of you and your father in law! Glad he's in good spirits.

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Visited him again today. He's looking a lot better, good color in his face. He should be going home on oral antibiotics tomorrow along with wound treatment. The results came back on the test to see what kind of bacteria was in his blood. It was bacteria from dog saliva! He thought allowing the dog to lick his leg wounds would help. Bad idea! Today's blood cultures came back negative, so fortunately the antibiotics are working well. :) Now he has dr's orders to not allow the dog to lick his wounds, and don't be trying to lift picnic tables alone. Thanks everybody for all the good thoughts and prayers!

Most Reactions