Pretty upsetting

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
So as some of you may know I was helping an older man with random stuff around the house because he said he was going to give me his 2 year old green wing macaw. Well I have been there a few times already with my older brother doing house repairs, and now he just called me to tell me that he won't give me the bird any more because he wants a "show" bird in his house. Needless to say I'm really upset. I was so excited that I was getting him.

I never even "had" him but I feel like I lost something, so upset and mad

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Oh No.. Thats a shame :( I know how much you were looking forward to having him! Maybe he will change his mind! What does he mean? He wants a Show Bird in his House?

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I have no idea what he meant about wanting a show bird, and I don't know if I want chance helping him again for the bird for him to change his mind.

thanks though, I just feel used at the moment

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Me mad and sorry for you, I think I can understand how you feel. Hope that it will work out in the best way for you

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I'm so sorry hun. I wouldn't go back to work for him, even if he says he changed his mind and will give you the bird (unless he puts it in writing.)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
That's horrible! :(

I agree with PortaPerch - send him a bill for the work you've done for him in what was supposed to be exchange for the bird. Be reasonable, but firm. If he refuses to pay, you can take him to small claims court in most states for a breach of oral contract and lack of payment for services rendered.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Thanks everyone it's nice to vent to people who understand, I'm just mad because I asked him so many times if he was sure that he wanted to give him to me and he kept saying yes.

It's just disappointing I was really looking forward to giving him a good home

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Yes he has more than one bird, he has 3 green wings and a cag. I honestly don't understand why he wants the one green wing, he doesn't pay any attention to him at all. The poor cag sits in his cage all day long with one perch and no toys. The other 2 green wings are a breeding pair so at least they have each other to interact with they are also the other green wings parents.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Maybe if you talk honestly about how you feel and the disappointment of loosing a bird you so very much want to provide for he will realize that he is making the wrong decision. Show how much you care by reasoning in a calm assertive manner. Explain for him that the deal had been discussed at length and that honoring the deal is in the best interest of everyone.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I tried explaining that I was really looking forward to having him with me, but he just said well I don't want to give him away any more. Than I said well you told me you didn't have time for him any more and that's why you wanted me to take him. He doesn't care about his birds needs to him they are alive to amuse him.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
An oral contract is still a contract - at least in the US. I would write down everything I could remember, especially dates. You have a witness for at least some of it. If you get back in there, be sure to take pix of work you did.

The guy may have a reputation for cheating others. There are ways to learn about that, such as recorded liens on his property. I think you will find the process educational and rewarding, even if you don't get the macaw, and just the bird.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I'm in Canada but I am going to look into our laws and see what I can actually do. If not I may call the spca because it's not fair for his animals to live in his filthy house.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I hope that everything works out, I am sure that if you continue to appeal to his common sense, maybe point out how expensive they are and how it will be less expensive for him!!! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Wow, the old man played you....he had some nerves...I agree with others about making him pay for the work you've done, instead of sending him a bill, hand him the bill and ask for payments. Unless you guys can do certified letter like here in US.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I'll look into it more tomorrow, today has been an emotional rollercoaster. For now I'm just going to spend whats left of the day outside to try and clear my head. Thanks everyone for the support.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Is this guy doesn't even sound like he is all there. From day to day who knows if he even remembers what he says. I'm sure if he is starting to lose his mind he is confused and very attached to his birds even if it isn't best for them. I would call adult services if his place is a mess and the humane society about the birds.

Sorry for all your trouble:(

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I don't think there's anything wrong with his mind, he just is physically unable to give them the care they need. Plus he is stuck in the past with the way he feeds and cares for the birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts