probably adopting a 10 yro military macaw

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
Her name is Rita, 10 years old, gorgeous! We haven't met her yet but I've talked to her mom for a while today. We planned on meeting her Sunday. Then we started thinking about the possibility of her having a disease and getting our flock sick. So, we are going to meet her Saturday to get blood work done and then visit with her on Sunday. We're kind of going about this backwards but we're being squeezed in for the blood work and want to know before the end of next week if she's ok. She's been a little neglected lately and has become nippy as a result. I found her ad on Craigslist. I need to stop looking on there!!!!!! We are so excited though! :-D:green1: :D

OP
G

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I read through my post and realized I really rambled rather aimlessly. I'm sick and have been having memory problems and lots of stupid moments. Lol sorry!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I have a Military Macaw, and he's awesome! Like you mentioned though, if you decrease the amount of time you devote to them, they get pissy!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is so exciting! And I don't think you rambled at all:) Hope it works out!

OP
G

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Me too! Thanks guys. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Good luck adopting your new baby, hope the test results turns out ok!!! :)

IF I could adopt one more bird I would like for it to be a Scarlet Macaw then I would be quite happy. Even though they're known to be nippy, I still love to have one.... :)

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
That's awesome, military macaws are lovely! I love their look but I haven't been able to meet one.

I have always wanted a cockatoo! Even just to look after one for a while. I love them. Especially goffins

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have a Military Macaw, and he's awesome! Like you mentioned though, if you decrease the amount of time you devote to them, they get pissy!

Well that is ANY macaw... Militaries are just a little beakier than most.

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
It's good to hear you are going blood tests it's just not worth infecting your flock. I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

OP
G

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
:green1: I hope it works out too! If we didn't have a flock already I wouldn't mind unless I couldn't afford outrageous longterm medical care but I will feel horrible if we have to say no. My husband has wanted a military since he was 19 but I never really did, although I've never experienced their personality but she sounds so sweet and hopefully there's still potential there. We would still keep her even if we couldn't cuddle her but we're hoping we'll get her back to the sweetie that likes it. I forget who it was but I was so inspired and impressed by a member here. She rescued some small bird that was truly terrified of people. Every time she came in the room the bird would flip out in it's cage thrashing. Over time it would be fine with humans around, sing, talk, eat, and is happy. She cannot hold it, pet, cuddle, or give kisses but they have a bond all the same. It will get on the stick for her to put it on the playstand everyday and is happy tosee her. RReading that really opened up my eyes about what kind of bonds you can have with your fids. M6 husband felt the same way after I read it to him. Thanks to this woman's patince, perseverance, tolerance, acceptance, and love this bird is healthy, happy, and knows he's loved. :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
:green1: I hope it works out too! If we didn't have a flock already I wouldn't mind unless I couldn't afford outrageous longterm medical care but I will feel horrible if we have to say no. My husband has wanted a military since he was 19 but I never really did, although I've never experienced their personality but she sounds so sweet and hopefully there's still potential there. We would still keep her even if we couldn't cuddle her but we're hoping we'll get her back to the sweetie that likes it. I forget who it was but I was so inspired and impressed by a member here. She rescued some small bird that was truly terrified of people. Every time she came in the room the bird would flip out in it's cage thrashing. Over time it would be fine with humans around, sing, talk, eat, and is happy. She cannot hold it, pet, cuddle, or give kisses but they have a bond all the same. It will get on the stick for her to put it on the playstand everyday and is happy tosee her. RReading that really opened up my eyes about what kind of bonds you can have with your fids. M6 husband felt the same way after I read it to him. Thanks to this woman's patince, perseverance, tolerance, acceptance, and love this bird is healthy, happy, and knows he's loved. :D

Well, one of the problems with Militaries is that they are beaky....

And ALL macaws, if they don't get handled enough, get pissy.

What happens with these guys, is that they get pissy because they aren't being handled enough, "express themselves" and their displeasure at not being interacted with enough, with their beaks, and then people start handling them less and less. Then the bird gets the "moody" label attached, and "biter" label attached.

This bird needs to be handled, and when it gets that interaction, the "mush mac" will come out again...

It's in there, you just have to work through the "pissy/angry" stage to find it.

My advice with these kinds of birds is always to bring the bird in, open the door, walk by and give treats, and what not, and wait until the bird starts craving attention from you. (Show me a macaw that doesn't like attention!)
THEN give it what it wants. Let the bird initiate the interaction...

Then interact in spades. Give him what he has been missing out on, nurturing guidance, boundary setting, games, and lots of love. Fill that void. The natural pair bond instinct will kick in at that point. That is how you create a "mush mac" from a "monster."

Just watch how fast he turns around...

Maggie hadn't been handled in EIGHT YEARS when I got her. She's been a mush mac since DAY FOUR. And that was more than five years ago...

So, yeah, not only does it happen, it's not that difficult.

OP
G

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Wow, awesome! Ty birdman. :) one of our rescues couldn't be handled the first month our bird store owner got him back. He was so mad because he was a sweetheart and just a baby, they completely ignored him. When we met him I thought there's no way I could handle that guy! He's now a mommas boy. Lol

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
After I posted a new thread about the Military I see my wife's post. I think you're right honey they need to adjust my ADHD meds lol.

OP
G

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
I've posted a thread in the cage forum to see if there are ways to fix the cage she has. I have my reasons like 1. She's older and used to her cage, she gets stressed easily and I think keeping it (for now) would help that aspect, 2. We have a lot of money being spent on our flock right now. We are buying a new cage for our goffins which is 1, 000 and 2 more java trees which is 800, and then (as you can see in the pic) a ton of toys and perches for her cage alone. Then I need to buy more toys for the toos for their larger divided cage, toys for the tiels going back to their large divided flight cage, and toys and chains for the java trees.
I am looking on cl but they only have ver small cages.

Nocona

Dec 18, 2015
good luck with the adoption! I recently acquired a bird that was a sweetie a little and awful a lot. With a lot of attention and patients, it's reversed...he's only a *&^%$ about 2% of the time now! Otherwise loves to sleep under my hair or under my pillow! No talking yet, tho.

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
african grey (Gizmo)..umbrella cockatoo (Wacko RIP)...military macaw (Rowdy)...blue fronted amazon (cookie RIP)
i read somewhere that military macaws can be quite agressive but i also heard if they interact with the rest f the flock and the humans he will be very sweet. my husband and myself are both retired we do go away 2x a year and wont always be able to take him most times is only for a weekend during the times we cant take him we will put the smaller birds in a different cage because the big cage will be used for Rowdy (macaw)

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
african grey (Gizmo)..umbrella cockatoo (Wacko RIP)...military macaw (Rowdy)...blue fronted amazon (cookie RIP)
Ayala (Drag Queen Tiel)

can i see a picture of this bird i never heard pf one

Most Reactions

Latest posts