Probiotics, Weaning, & other questions..

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
Hellooooo! I'm just going to machine gun these questions out there and then toss a picture of Kyleigh in at the end as a thank you. Lol.

Kyleigh will be 12 weeks next week. The feeder and I have been discussing the addition of probiotics to her diet as she weans. Another idea we had was to thicken the consistency of her formula (similar to peanut butter) and spread it over her formula. She is weaning off of it and is eating a pretty big array of whole foods right now. But we still want to keep some formula in her diet for another few weeks.

Not related..and I have read around but can't seem to get a consistent answer...nonetheless..When is it time (or too early) to begin training? And should I begin teaching Kyleigh to step up and soon teach her to hop, hop further, and then fly from perch to perch?

Last but not least

IMG_8864_zpswsjszvym.jpg

IMG_8863_zpsiieymmil.jpg

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Is there's concern with her digestive track that makes you want to add probiotics? They are all the rage in humans right now, and it can be tempting to want to "help" our birds by adding them, but I see no reason to. It could be that e hand feeder wants to add them because they are attempting to wean her now, but I encourage you to research and INSIST ON abundance weaning rather than force weaning on a schedule. If you do add probiotics EVER for any reason, make sure they are avian specific. No mammal probiotics, we don't need the same bacteria and you can make her very sick by using the wrong stuff.

As for training, it is never too early to start. I start teaching step up even before babies are perching on their own, and I use feedings to begin training babies to come when called from the day I start feeding them. The earlier you start it the better. But approach it in a light hearted and fun way, and avoid being frustrated if she doesn't respond the way you expect. She is only a baby after all :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I completely agree. No need for probiotics. Kyleigh is developing at a perfectly normal pace. I mean look at her, she's just the picture of a healthy, happy, glowing and MUCH loved big mac. :D

Loved hearing that she's eating a variety of foods on her own already. I'd be careful about making the formula too thick. It 'may' affect how her crop empties. How many feedings is she on? She will wean herself, I promise. :)

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I don't have any advice on probiotics or thickening formula. BUT, I'm so glad to see new photos of Kyleigh! She really is a beautiful girl.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Is there's concern with her digestive track that makes you want to add probiotics? They are all the rage in humans right now, and it can be tempting to want to "help" our birds by adding them, but I see no reason to. It could be that e hand feeder wants to add them because they are attempting to wean her now, but I encourage you to research and INSIST ON abundance weaning rather than force weaning on a schedule. If you do add probiotics EVER for any reason, make sure they are avian specific. No mammal probiotics, we don't need the same bacteria and you can make her very sick by using the wrong stuff.

As for training, it is never too early to start. I start teaching step up even before babies are perching on their own, and I use feedings to begin training babies to come when called from the day I start feeding them. The earlier you start it the better. But approach it in a light hearted and fun way, and avoid being frustrated if she doesn't respond the way you expect. She is only a baby after all :)

We are certainly abundance weaning. That I can guarantee. There is no schedule we are following whatsoever. We have an idea of approximately where we think she would be week to week to make sure she isn't ill or stressed. But we are not force weaning her.

The feeder asked me research and see if I thought they would be beneficial to her overall health. Not to force into weaning.

The reason I asked about the formula on bread is because she is no longer wanting her formula, morning or night. She MIGHT take 35cc at the very most. Last Week it was 45-55. We were just wanting to make sure her weight didn't drop too low, though we know she will drop soon when she begins fledging.

I am going with your answer and your answer only on training. Lol. There are soooo many different opinions as to what to train and when. I believe we are bonding now, and I think training me giving her treats for good behavior will only increase that.

You rock.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
I completely agree. No need for probiotics. Kyleigh is developing at a perfectly normal pace. I mean look at her, she's just the picture of a healthy, happy, glowing and MUCH loved big mac. :D

Loved hearing that she's eating a variety of foods on her own already. I'd be careful about making the formula too thick. It 'may' affect how her crop empties. How many feedings is she on? She will wean herself, I promise. :)

Her feedings are more like "sips' if she were human. Like when you ask your spouse for a sip of there Diet Coke. Lol. She taste it. Then thats it..A few minutes later she goes to chomping on pellets or her whole foods.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
I don't have any advice on probiotics or thickening formula. BUT, I'm so glad to see new photos of Kyleigh! She really is a beautiful girl.

I hate bragging, but she's probably the best big mac out there....dont tell Mark I said that.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I try never to think of training as me getting my way with a bird, instead it is a way to increase communication between us so that we can live together in the most enjoyable way possible for Both of us :) in my house some keys to this are coming when called (mostly for safety reasons), wearing a harness, stepping up, and not eating or pooping on my electronics :)

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
I try never to think of training as me getting my way with a bird, instead it is a way to increase communication between us so that we can live together in the most enjoyable way possible for Both of us :) in my house some keys to this are coming when called (mostly for safety reasons), wearing a harness, stepping up, and not eating or pooping on my electronics :)

I feel like you are reading my mind as to everything I want to do. But with her being so young, I cannot decide my methods. I dont want to cloud this post with my questions, but I will cloud your inbox here in a second lol

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Actually, I prefer that questions are asked on the forum instead :) that way everyone can benefit. It also gives more people the chance to respond, and it keeps us all real and accountable to each other. This is important to me, especially since I'm giving advice about a macaw... And I have never had one. Sure, I have conures, and I interact with macaws on a regular basis, including recently a few in this same age group, but I'm not a Big Mac person, I'm simply sharing my beliefs and philosophies as a bird owner, lover, and breeder. I think that open discussion is the point of a forum :)

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
I've looked into training with a clicker and using positive reinforcement to harness good behaviors. What are your methods?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I agree 110% with all of this.

Has this bird fledged yet?! Showing signs of wanting to fly?

Teaching them to fly to you on command is actually fairly easy ONCE they discover they can fly, and learn to control their landings... that's the prerequisite to "fly to me."

Bonding and bite pressure training is the first order of business.

Remember, training is also playtime...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I hate bragging, but she's probably the best big mac out there....dont tell Mark I said that.

You're supposed to say and feel that about your own! Aren't you?!

And in terms of training a big mac?! You raise them the same way you would a human toddler, with nurturing guidance, boundary setting, and positive reinforcement. They learn very, very quickly.

I don't use the clicker. I use animated interaction, and favorite training treats.

In all honesty, Macaws are so attention oriented, that it doesn't take much more than, right now, you're the center of the universe for doing that for me... GOOD BIRD!

Last edited:
OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -

I agree 110% with all of this.

Has this bird fledged yet?! Showing signs of wanting to fly?

Teaching them to fly to you on command is actually fairly easy ONCE they discover they can fly, and learn to control their landings... that's the prerequisite to "fly to me."

Bonding and bite pressure training is the first order of business.

Remember, training is also playtime...

She has hopped and flapped a few times, but no actual flights. But man she flaps and flaps all day it seems.

We do bite pressure training all day. That one is tough because she doesn't ever bite hard, so it's not much to train. The only time she does is when she is chomping down on me for grip trying to run to my shoulder. That's when I block her from getting up or sit her down completely and walk away for a minute.

We have a lot of play time. She is really relaxed (right now). She can be touched anywhere, and handled by anyone.

OP
StephenAndKyleigh

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
You're supposed to say and feel that about youAnd in terms of training a big mac?! You raise them the same way you would a human toddler, with nurturing guidance, boundary setting, and positive reinforcement. They learn very, very quickly.

I don't use the clicker. I use animated interaction, and favorite training treats.

In all honesty, Macaws are so attention oriented, that it doesn't take much more than, right now, you're the center of the universe for doing that for me... GOOD BIRD!

She certainly feels likes a new born right now. She not only wants the attention, but she needs it for her growth and safety.

I enjoy using the combination of animated interaction, favorite treats, and the clicker. It just felt natural to me I guess.

taniaandkids

Sep 6, 2015
Jacksonville, Fl
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
Stephen,

Gator went through the phase of not eating formula too.... I dropped him down to one feeding, and he still refused....only taking 30-35cc's at a time. He started eating very well with pellets, fruits, and veg's. you can go back on some of my threads. He is 13 1/2 weeks old now, and I just had his wings clipped this past weekend... He took flight several times and I was afraid of him hurting himself. He is also perching very well, climbing all over and even hanging upside down. He did say "mama" and today he said "come here".
He is also stepping up on command, it's amazing with just a couple of weeks difference in age, with the changes....
I know each one goes at their own pace though.....I've never been pushy with Gator. I still offer him formula every night, but he is just not interested. But, it makes me feel better knowing that I offered it to him...lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts