problem with DIY toys

tania

Jan 23, 2014
Media
Albums
pakistan
Parrots
2 ringnecks
i`ve been making parrots toys but i dont use a rope on them bcz bcz i`ve got a thn one i use wire but rather than toy they like to chew the wire what do i do and what kind of rope should i use

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
It is not a problem if they chew the wire IF the wire is SS and not so thin that they can actually chew through it.

Ropes to use : UNTREATED sisal (you can get it in diff thicknesses), poly rope. I like to also use 100% ttightly woven cotton rope.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
You can usually get good quality sisal from people who sell stuff for boats. Do you live near the coast? If not, then perhaps a place that sells things for farming purposes might help. If you have access to ebay, then search for 'sisal rope' or 'jute rope' or 'jute twine'. I use cotton rope, but only because my Alexes don't chew it. If they did, I'd worry about them swallowing it or getting the pulled-off threads caught on their feet. Sisal only has short fibres, so it's probably the safest of all the ropes. I believe sisal is actually made in Pakistan, so with a bit of searching you ought to be able to find some. It's pretty cheap compared to most ropes.

You can get stuff called 'Paulie rope' from pet shops, but I really don't like it. It's plastic and stiff and hard to knot. One thing I do use is wire coathangers. I cut off the hooks and straighten the wire and use it for things like threading beads, hanging toys or wrapping the ends of cotton-wrapped boings. 8-gauge fencing wire would probable work at a pinch as well. DO NOT use wire your birds can bite through as it could be swallowed. Most metals are poisonous to birds, so you do need to be careful they can't bite off bits of metal and swallow it. Toy bells are a problem for birds with big, strong bills - my Alexandrines just crush them with one chomp! I think your Ringnecks should be safe, but watch them carefully: if they're able to bend wire or a bell with their beaks, remove it (the wire/bell, not the beak). Hope this helps?

Most Reactions

Latest posts