Problem with Gus's beak?

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I forgot about time - that the beak reflects conditions at the time it was being formed. The part near his body does look better, so maybe it will grow out. Do you know how fast a macaw beak grows?

Gus is picky with food. He was on Harrison's at the rescuer's, then the rescue switched him to Roudybush, then his human fed him colored zupreem, then I got him some zupreem naturals. He has eaten them all, in fact he prefers them to veggies and most foods. I bought some Harrison's with pepper which is what his first rescuer (who works at the vet) says he ate and as soon as he finishes the last of the supreme he can start having that. What kind of supplements do you give Tino? I read that in humans, iron deficiency can cause peeling nails and biotin, a B vitamin, can strengthen hair and nails in humans so maybe it's good for hair and feathers.

Thanks for the explanation of what he's doing, it fits with what I observe.

I don't know if you have the same products as in Europe, but I give Tino 2 different supplements. One is a liquid, which I should think would be available to you
Versele-Laga Muta-Vit Liquid fældnings-middel | zooplus.dk
The liquid is vitamins given in the water to birds moulting.

The other is thishttp://xn--gjeknas-q1a.dk/da/vitaminer-og-mineraler/507-vi-spu-min-1-kg.html, which is a powder based vitamin/mineral mix for every day use. The powder gets sprinkled over his pellets. As the pellets have a porous surface, the powder stick to the pellets quite well :)

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Thanks gor the info, I'll look for them. He really doesn't eat much except pellets, I might check with Harrison's to make sure he wouldn't be getting too much of anything. And I bought a parrot cookbook with lots of recipes for sneaking evil vegetables into yummy bread.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Was thinking about Gus's lack of interest in wood toys. That is likely due to the lack of toys provided in the past and/or what kind of toys. With MAC's, they are commonly provided Structural Grade wood pieces like 2 x 4 (38 x 90 mm) or like tight grain wood products. With Gus's weaken state (now much better) he was likely not able to develop the forces needed to take on Structural Grade wood. Try going to the far other end by providing something like Balsa Wood or like very soft wood. If he develops an interest, shift to ever stronger Pine based wood.

Just my two-cents here; As his strength continues to increase, he's starting to show greater abilities to create forces that his Beak structure is not strong enough to support. That supports working to move him away from this snapping habit to other activities - no an easy task.

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Was thinking about Gus's lack of interest in wood toys. That is likely due to the lack of toys provided in the past and/or what kind of toys. With MAC's, they are commonly provided Structural Grade wood pieces like 2 x 4 (38 x 90 mm) or like tight grain wood products. With Gus's weaken state (now much better) he was likely not able to develop the forces needed to take on Structural Grade wood. Try going to the far other end by providing something like Balsa Wood or like very soft wood. If he develops an interest, shift to ever stronger Pine based wood.

Just my two-cents here; As his strength continues to increase, he's starting to show greater abilities to create forces that his Beak structure is not strong enough to support. That supports working to move him away from this snapping habit to other activities - no an easy task.
That's my thinking! I found out there are a couple of veneer-making companies near me, and I will see if they would be willing to sell me some scraps. I figure, it's thin like paper but a bit stronger and maybe a good bridge to chewable wood. If I can get some, I'll make it available to others here. Just have to be sure it's not a toxic wood..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That's my thinking! I found out there are a couple of veneer-making companies near me, and I will see if they would be willing to sell me some scraps. I figure, it's thin like paper but a bit stronger and maybe a good bridge to chewable wood. If I can get some, I'll make it available to others here. Just have to be sure it's not a toxic wood..

That is a really great idea!

Veneer is commonly hard woods with tight grain patterns, but as you stated, very thin! They will have rejected sections of 4 x 8' and smaller that have grain, cuts, breaks, or branch bases issues that do not allow use as an outer surface. Normally they are patched and used for interior or back pieces. But a some point the handling costs are too great and they get rejected.

Everything before the glueing process is commonly safe. Very few exotic woods are run and because of their costs, they are normally rarely found in the scrap bin. The most common hard woods are what is run, so you will be safe on that side.

Note: You will have to run them on a table saw to bring them down to strips. Then a chop saw to bring them down to a Beak-able length.

That would be a fun trip. You will be an oddity, since most of those showing-up want the rejected final pieces for their DIY projects. You will likely get further, because you are interested in the rejected 'surface' pieces not the rejected finished pieces. As you well know, pictures of Gus alway helps get you past the 'Gate Keep' at the Front Desk!!!

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Good idea, I'll print some photos out to break the ice! I'll put J in charge of the power tools since it's his shop. I'll drive his truck over there too, in this part of the county a lady in a full size pickup truck gets noticed. I've had people run after me in parking lots..."ma'am...ma'am.. that sure is a nice truck!" All this money I wasted on gym memberships and Victoria's Secret, the way to a man's heart in the south is to wear a fancy truck!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Good idea, I'll print some photos out to break the ice! I'll put J in charge of the power tools since it's his shop. I'll drive his truck over there too, in this part of the county a lady in a full size pickup truck gets noticed. I've had people run after me in parking lots..."ma'am...ma'am.. that sure is a nice truck!" All this money I wasted on gym memberships and Victoria's Secret, the way to a man's heart in the south is to wear a fancy truck!

That works in larger areas of the Great White North just as well! :D

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

Can't help laughing at this, so funny, perhaps the VS would be to make you feel good also? :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Maybe he needs some new toys.

I understand your statement regarding new toys and in most cases you're suggestion would have Merit!

But, Gus has several physical issues and had been keep in a very small cage without any toys. As Gus recovers and becomes healthier and stronger, care needs to be taken to keep in mind that the beak, nails and bone take much longer than tissue and muscle to gain strength. Also, Parrots recovering from a life without toys, room, a good diet, and in general, an enriched lifestyle have to be taught how too play. Thus, starting with toys that would normally be provide a much small Parrot as he regains strength both mentally and physically as he requires staging toys that are appropriate for their overall strength and abilities.

Thank-you, for your caring statement!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts