Problem with the rescued IRN!

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Today the IRN's droppings look like shown in the below picture... he was eating corn on cob and banana (he ate banana foor first time today and upuntil today his droppings were normal.. well sometimes watery because he eats a lot of grapes)... could that have make his droppings look like this???

xp3qkj.png

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Keep eye on it and switch him off fresh food for 12 hours. If it firms up then don't worry. If it stays watery then get gram stains right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Keep eye on it and switch him off fresh food for 12 hours. If it firms up then don't worry. If it stays watery then get gram stains right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, what what I told my neighbor to do for next 24 hours (bird is with her for quarantine purposes for the next 30 days) I was HOPING real owner would show up by now but they haven't! :(

I'm also going to weigh him from now on to monitor his weight. Thanks God I have been showering and throwing my clothes in the wash every time after I see him and taking quarantine seriously... if something happened to my tiels I would DIE.

PS: It's not the watery poop that worries me... it's the freakishly yellow coloring....

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't want to panic you but that was the color of Pacho's poop before she went downhill fast.

My advice would be don't wait. Also using paper towels to catch the birds waste makes it difficult to gage how much of the poop is liquid. The paper towels absorb it so quickly.

I wish you all the best.

texsize

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I don't want to panic you but that was the color of Pacho's poop before she went downhill fast.

My advice would be don't wait. Also using paper towels to catch the birds waste makes it difficult to gage how much of the poop is liquid. The paper towels absorb it so quickly.

I wish you all the best.

texsize

Now you have me freaking out... what do you recommend to use other than papers towels? I just emailed Dr Susan Clubb one of the best avian vets around here: Susan Clubb, DVM is a world-renowned avian veterinarian and scientist with 30 years experience specializing in the treatment and care of exotic birds and all other exotic animals at Rainforest Clinic for Birds and Exotics located in Loxahatchee, FL.

He ate corn on cob and banana coudn't that have caused this??

EDIT: What turned out to be the problem with Pacho??

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I need to find this IRN a good home I really CANNOT handle 3 birds at this time in my life I CANNOT for MANY REASONS! This is the last thing I need on my plate I am already 100K in debt!!! If you knew how much work/effort I have been putting into finding the owner yet he is nowhere to be found. This is CRAZY. Of course I will care for him in the interim but the more it's sinking in that the real owner is more likely NOT going to show up I am worried for my tiels and I have said it mnay mnay times on this forum I am not ready for 3 birds in my life at this time.

This IRN is a very sweet bird but I can't handle another bird in my life right now and of course the safety of my tiels is a huge issue not to mention the COSTS of having a 3rd bird (I can't afford it). I already got hit with $5,000+ and $1,100 bill from a crook avian vet.

I also feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable bringing an IRN into my home (once quarantine is over) because I feel extremely worried for the safety of my tiels! :( What if the IRN kills or blinds one of my tiels. I could never live with myself then.

I am calling vet in morning I sent email on their website about possibly emergency but it went to blank white page so I have no idea if it went through or not...

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
OMG I forgot it's labor day weekend... maybe the vet not even open tomorrow. I HOPE not!! I hope his poop goes back to normal tomorrow and that there't nothing seriously wring :(

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
It could be what he ate. My vet was having me use more of the Zupreem fruit blend and when I did that my bird's poop had orange stains. I brought the sample to the vet and he said it was the Zupreem coloring, I am going to try and switch my bird to Harrison slowly because I heard Harrison is good and I was getting freaked out by the orange/reddish poops. I also use paper towels so maybe it was an absorption thing.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I know when my birds eat grapes they have more watery poop. The color of the liquid and solid can be changed by the food they eat.

The think that concerns me is the ratio between solid and liquid should be close to 50/50.

I just use newspaper. I get it free from work so I always have a plentiful supply.

I don't think anyone faults your efforts to find the owner. Is there a bird rescue close by you can turn it in for them to care for?
If some of your searches bear fruit you can tell them where the bird is and you are not under financial obligations.

texsize

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I know when my birds eat grapes they have more watery poop. The color of the liquid and solid can be changed by the food they eat.

The think that concerns me is the ratio between solid and liquid should be close to 50/50.

I just use newspaper. I get it free from work so I always have a plentiful supply.

I don't think anyone faults your efforts to find the owner. Is there a bird rescue close by you can turn it in for them to care for?
If some of your searches bear fruit you can tell them where the bird is and you are not under financial obligations.

texsize

I have great news... his poop is normal this morning... several of his droppings in a row are all normal again today!!!! :D It is normal green/white color... pheeew! It looks like it was the banana (he ate banana for first time yesterday) and he was eating corn on cob made his poop that yellow coloring which was temporary. It is green and white now with nice ratios.

All can say is if I did have to take him to the real owner would be having to repay me the bills... he/she would have no choice LOL

I have to go buy another food scale (because I don't want to take take mine over there) and then I'm going to weigh him this morning... and again tomorrow morning. Getting him to go onto the food scale is going to be very difficult! I will use a tiny mirror since he likes mirrors and lure him onto the scale with millet... hopefully it works.

I was in contact with a shelter 2 days ago on facebook but oddly they haven't replied back to me when I asked them a question!! I will post about that shelter here later today...

Last edited:

Most Reactions