Problematic grey

erictheviking

Nov 21, 2012
My grey is approching four months now. He has splayed leg since young but seems improving ever since I put her on a perch last few days.
But the problem is I find that she isn't active at all, full feathered but still can't fly. Simply just too weak to fly from what I observed this couple of days. Has anyone experienced this? Please share.
She is in the picture of my averta. The head seems small, so I presume it's a female....:whiteblue:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
You've probably heard this already, but I would consider a visit to the vet..

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
What does she weigh? Is she eating well? If she is of normal weight and has a good appetite, plus is fed a species correct diet, she will likely fly once she is ready.

I had a grey for 3 years, from her 5th to 8th year when I lost her outdoors. I was foolish then and agreed to keep her clipped like the previous owner suggested. One time I took her out, assuming she couldn't fly, without checking her primaries. She flew high into a tree even though she had not flown at all in my house. I almost recovered her on the third day, then a strong wind took her and although I looked for 2 weeks, I never found her again.

Didn't mean to get off on that tangent, but it is worth talking about when we think a bird cannot fly. Don't take them out expecting they will be unable to fly off.

Now, with my Eclectus who came to me unflighted, I've had 2 start flying once they became comfortable here. They were older birds though who needed a good molt before their primaries were able to sustain flight.

If she becomes comfortable sitting on perches, you can eventually move her to the back of a straight backed chair. Place the chair close to a countertop or table. About 8 inches or a foot away. Then place a favorite treat on the countertop or table and urge her to hop to get the treat. Once she is willing to hop there, move the chair a tiny bit farther away. Over time she should be able to fly as she hops and eventually flap a few times to get to the treat. Verbally encourage her each time.

I am assuming the bird is used to you. I wouldn't try this with a bird who is afraid of me.

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
definately make a trip to the vet. I have an M2 with a splayed leg among other issues. she too will never fly- but everynight as part of her "loving time" I work in a little massage therapy and stretching of her bad leg (upon advise from my vet). I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I have noticed she seems to have benefited- she climbs alot more now and is even doing "summersaults" around some of the metal bars on her play stand. It takes time and patience but honestly when I first got her she never used a perch, never climbed and would barely walk from one side of her cage to the other...now she is like a baby who just learned to walk. (side note- I did change her diet, and I do other socializing activities with her)

OP
erictheviking

erictheviking

Nov 21, 2012
definately make a trip to the vet. I have an M2 with a splayed leg among other issues. she too will never fly- but everynight as part of her "loving time" I work in a little massage therapy and stretching of her bad leg (upon advise from my vet). I have been doing this for about 2 months now and I have noticed she seems to have benefited- she climbs alot more now and is even doing "summersaults" around some of the metal bars on her play stand. It takes time and patience but honestly when I first got her she never used a perch, never climbed and would barely walk from one side of her cage to the other...now she is like a baby who just learned to walk. (side note- I did change her diet, and I do other socializing activities with her)

Wow...!! Good to hear that. I will try the massage too. Thanks

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I've worked with splayed leg by massaging and walking exercises. Also, one young bird we "hobbled" with foam rubber, done by Avian Vet, and leg improved greatly. Your vet can advise best treatment.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels

Make sure not to massage/stretch your gray'a leg without asking a vet first, you can easily cause more damage than good. A avian vet will teach you how to do so to benefit your bird, all birds are different. They may even recommend against it. So many variables, please contact a vet for advice on what to do.

OP
erictheviking

erictheviking

Nov 21, 2012
What does she weigh? Is she eating well? If she is of normal weight and has a good appetite, plus is fed a species correct diet, she will likely fly once she is ready.

I had a grey for 3 years, from her 5th to 8th year when I lost her outdoors. I was foolish then and agreed to keep her clipped like the previous owner suggested. One time I took her out, assuming she couldn't fly, without checking her primaries. She flew high into a tree even though she had not flown at all in my house. I almost recovered her on the third day, then a strong wind took her and although I looked for 2 weeks, I never found her again.

Didn't mean to get off on that tangent, but it is worth talking about when we think a bird cannot fly. Don't take them out expecting they will be unable to fly off.

Now, with my Eclectus who came to me unflighted, I've had 2 start flying once they became comfortable here. They were older birds though who needed a good molt before their primaries were able to sustain flight.

If she becomes comfortable sitting on perches, you can eventually move her to the back of a straight backed chair. Place the chair close to a countertop or table. About 8 inches or a foot away. Then place a favorite treat on the countertop or table and urge her to hop to get the treat. Once she is willing to hop there, move the chair a tiny bit farther away. Over time she should be able to fly as she hops and eventually flap a few times to get to the treat. Verbally encourage her each time.

I am assuming the bird is used to you. I wouldn't try this with a bird who is afraid of me.

I lost two eclectus...what a bad experience. So I am actually considering of clipping my grey. But according to some articles discourage wing clipping during young age. And that really making me worry of losing her.

OP
erictheviking

erictheviking

Nov 21, 2012

Make sure not to massage/stretch your gray'a leg without asking a vet first, you can easily cause more damage than good. A avian vet will teach you how to do so to benefit your bird, all birds are different. They may even recommend against it. So many variables, please contact a vet for advice on what to do.

Great...its has improved tremendously and it flew to me twice to me on perch today. The next challenge is to make it talk...

Most Reactions

Latest posts