Problems with sounds my grey mimic's

herman's mom

Aug 29, 2009
:grey:My African Grey is 10 years old and we have only had him for one of those 10 years. He has been delightful for most of the year but within the last few months he has been mimicing the fire alarm. The sound is piercing. He does it all the time and it seems spiteful, though I'm sure it isn't. Any idea how to get him to stop this particular noise all the time? We cover him and of course he stops but shortly after being uncovered he is back to it again. We can't enjoy him with this particular behavior being so loud and annoying.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hi from Maryland: I have done extensive reading of parrot, african grey material and such things can be worked with. You should teach the bird: whenever bird is doing something you like no matter how small you say good bird. Then you teach the bird by saying watch out or better yet be careful when doing something you do not like. You should be rewarding with a treat after good bird in the beginning. Suggest the book Parrots for Dummies. The author has taught me so much. I am not calling you a dummie of course. Good luck. They are never too old to teach - that is a myth.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts