Pros and Cons of wing clipping

Banana

May 23, 2018
What are the pros and cons of wing clipping? I have heard people on both sides, but I haven't decided what is best. Some people say that it is important that they exercise their wings. But, I've heard people say that having a bird fully flighted can allow them to fly free or crash into things. Is that true? I have also heard people say that they WON'T crash into things because they are fully flighted, therefore most likely fly, and that means they won't be as clumsy... :06:

Karlys

Apr 11, 2018
Ultimately, it's up to what's best for you and your bird. There are so many factors to consider. For example, it might be a good idea if you live in a house with a lot of people who are coming and going all the time or even if you only have a significant other but they're extremely forgetful and leave doors open. Or if you have really high ceilings with windows that a bird could perch on and you're not able to reach them...

With flighted birds, it's recommended that you keep curtains drawn and ceiling fans off in order to avoid really dangerous crashes. Baby birds or adults who have been clipped all their lives will have more accidents than older birds who know what they're doing but, when they figure it out, those accidents should be fewer and far between. After all, birds were designed to fly!

There's no right or wrong answer.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'd say that for a young bird, it's a bad idea to clip them, however once they are an adult, or 6+ months old (potentially 1+ years old for the larger species), it's not quite as detrimental as doing so at a young age.

Please feel free to read this articles indepth - if you are seriously considering getting an african grey, then I highly recommend reading at least the first one

Ethical, Moral & Spiritual Considerations of Companion Parrot Care

What do we do with those Wings?

Thinking on the Wing

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Read in-depth from the links Monica posted. We all have different opinions and reasons for clipping or not clipping. There are no right or wrong answers. There are far too many variables. ONLY you can decide.

I want to point out that I trimmed my birds wings at fledging ..
leaving just enough for him to fly. He has never been clipped again.

IMO... the above should only be done by an expert who knows what type of bird it is and what you want to achieve.

discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture19911-im-so-happy-i-can-fly.jpg

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I agree, it's a personal decision for each bird owner. There is no right or wrong answer...Of course birds who are flighted can get out the door and escape, it happens all the time. But that doesn't necessarily mean that clipping their wings is the responsible thing to do in that situation, first you should make the changes in your home to prevent that from happening...And yes, flighted, adult birds will occasionally crash in cramped-spaces, or occasionally they fly into a window, mirror, etc. No, you cannot use ceiling fans at all with a flighted bird free in the house. Common sense plays a big part in a lot of these issues though...

Some people have issues with their birds in their homes (or with other people in their homes) and after trying everything else they finally decide clipping is the best solution. Some people are disabled and not able to keep a flighted bird safe anymore. Some people have a bird that is just does dangerous things or cannot learn to properly fly around inside a house...And some people clip their bird's wings because they are not a tame bird, and clipping their wings is often used to make training them easier (this is a temporary situation). There are a million reasons to clip your bird's wings, and also to not clip them. You have to figure that out for yourself.

Always have a professional clip your bird's wings, and you never want to clip more than a few primary flight feathers on each wing (never only clip one wing, and never clip more than this).

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
One of my usual suggestions IF YOU DO opt for free flight...
Recommended to me in the early days... "wall and window training"... taking the bird around to walls and windows, and encouraging them to tap or at least experience the situation, so they can see that walls are WALLS and windows are HARD AIR. Has worked for us.
Demonstration... it's also a cute "trick".
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1lyE72pOs"]Scene 4 - Hotel Rickeybird - YouTube[/ame]

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
At the very first check-up I had with Japie the avian vet asked me it I wanted his wings clipped - my response was "Why would I want to do that? Just because I can take him outside with me? ".
He replied "Well yes, and the fact it is an african gray, they fly like bricks anyway ...".
I blurted out "is that before or after you clip their wings?"
(whoopsy)

Japie had been in a cage for a *long* time, I think, and he really sucked at flying at first
(lots of crashes and he did not how to "backwing" to land, he just stopped flapping and fell -> Nat Geo took care of that, great documentaries with birds doing birdthings) - but fastforward 3 years: he absolutely loves hopping around the house on his own wings.

I cannot take him outside without a harness and even with one on he'll just take off, but he loves his life this way - who am I to argue?

The vet was not even offended and we are still on speaking terms.
He is a great guy.

I would alway let a young bird learn how to fly - because of the way their bodies are still growing and being formed and strengtned by the exercise and it sort of gives them more confidence in themselves.
Sometimes it can be better if wings are clipped for social reasons: you can take him anywhere with you- but that is really the only advantage i see.

Yes: Japie is really annoying sometimes because is now 'his own bird' and not so easy to controll--- the other side of the coin is: he can now really decide to join me on his terms (when I ask - eh bribe- nicely of course ;) ) and there is no bigger compliment!
I love to call him and see him fly from another part of the (small) house - it always makes my day.
(It cuts down on his social time though- I don't take him out to visit much/ most peoples houses are not parrotproof.)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Worth mentioning... even clipped birds can get lost outside. I'm not talking about birds who are regaining their flights, but even birds who have *just* recently gotten clipped with 6+ feathers on each wing. It is still possible that they can take off and get lost outside.

Regardless if the bird is flighted or clipped, they should be in a harness or carrier when outside.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
My cockatiel is fully-flighted and has never been clipped by me. He is an excellent flier, and he is tame so he will step up and down and will go back in his cage obediently. If he's out I draw all the curtains and usually put a sheet up to block the kitchen off from the living room. He is happy being flighted.

However, it is all personal choice as everyone has stated. Not every bird is the same and not every household is the same. If a bird is constantly dive-bombing members of the family or attacking in flight, then it warrants a clip in my book. If there are multiple kids or members in the family coming in and outside, then it warrants a clip. If bird is not tame and is constantly flying around the room and evading you to get back into the cage, a clip could help.

Every situation is different! I will agree with Monca above, even clipped a bird can and will still fly. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a happy bird outside with a secure harness on.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I always leave babyā€™s flighted for the first 1-2 yrs. They learn better in that first year and develop better. After that I donā€™t care which way it goes but itā€™s important for proper development at the very least for 6 months-1yr. Itā€™s one of the reasons you get birds that donā€™t understand how to fly or just canā€™t. They never learned while they were still in that stage of development. I used to have an article about this but lost it...one of Monicaā€™s might be it didnā€™t look. My best fliers are my conures and Cockatiels. The ones that were allowed to learn while they were still young before being clipped. They also have the best muscle development and stamina.

Most Reactions