Prospecting Parront

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Thanks. Now the hard part will be coming up with a name. :) Maybe a little easier once I find out if it's a he or she.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations! Hahn's are such cuties. Thank you for doing your research first :). Welcome back to the forum, lots of macaw advice here and several regulars who have Hahn's. I can't wait to see pics!

I'm lousy at naming for other people lol. Do you know if you'll be getting a male or female?

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
I won't know until the DNA test. That probably won't be for a little while yet since they hatched about a week ago. I'll definitely post pics when I get some. :)

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Thanks. Now the hard part will be coming up with a name. :) Maybe a little easier once I find out if it's a he or she.
Names are hard but with two of mine they just kind of came to me after I watched the birds for a few days. One took almost a week. The third one came to me right away. Good luck.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Yeah, I figure it will come to me eventually. I jotted a few names down. Will be easier once I know if it's a boy or girl. :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I can definately comment on parrotlets, they are pretty easy to take care of. There are some really cute videos on YouTube. Males tend to talk better the females. But I think females are quieter of the two. They enjoy human companionship as a single bird. I really enjoy my lil girl.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
SoCalWendy, I was going to get a parrotlet, but I saw the Hahn's Macaw from a reputable breeder and jumped on it. Down the road, if I do get a 2nd bird, it will either be a parrotlet or a conure. Saw a pineapple conure at a local family owned pet store that when they gave him a paper towel, he would run around his cage with it, like he was cleaning his cage. Lol.

Should be interesting when I pick up my Hahn's at the airport in a couple months or so. Once I know the time he arrives, I'm going to try to make a vet appointment right after. So I don't have him/her at home for a day and then have to go to the vet. That way I won't be putting additional stress on the bird.

Jan 26, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Parrots
Two Scarlet Maccaws
Hello,

Take your time! I have two Scarlet Macaws, male and female with HUGE personalities. They are spoiled as most home bound birds are. They sleep in cages in the garage at night with a heater, breakfast on the patio then to a cage on the pier from 10A.M.-5 P.M. Screams at 5 and they are ready for the patio until 7 them off to bed. If they do not have one of us in sight they scream our names and "Come Here" if that doesn't work they call the dog by name who runs to the cage and they laugh at the dog (Seriously). I spend about $300.00 a month in nuts pellets and fresh fruit daily.

Be prepared for a lifetime commitment and a lot of bites with a Scarlet! I had to put a 100K insurance policy in effect so that they will receive the same level of care if I pass before them. They are not really hard but they want all of your attention.

Choose wisely and good luck.

Most Reactions