Protocol for taking macaws out & about

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
Hi,
We have a 2 years old b & g macaw, Josie. She is very social and loves to go outside. She loves to wear her harness. I would like to take her to a park or at least for short walks outside. Are there any reasons why I should not do this? If people do approach, I would caution them since she is still a baby. She has never bitten anyone....in fact, the only person she will not go to is my mother. She just says no when mom tries to go near her.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Basically just warn them that although she doesn't bite often, she can bite and she will hurt. I'd take a 'look but dont touch' policy if taking her out and about. Unless she offers herself for scritches etc, then just make sure they're warned. You don't want to frighten Josie or the people interested in her!

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Any verbal disclaminer you make will be ignored you must insist that your birds beak is respected. Again I teach all the birds I train that the crooked finger wiggled is the hand sign language for scratches. Look up my post birdy sign language and start teaching your bird. Also never underestmate the nerve of people, keep a tight hold on your birds leash. Carry lots of treats and toys your bird can destroy while sitting on your shoulder nothing like a visual demonstration of the beak to keep fingers in pockets.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Perhaps you could say "Don't touch, she WILL bite. HARD." if you don't want people touching her. Anything less than that & I imagine they'll be poking at her regardless. You might be okay with that though, I don't know. I do know that people who don't know birds generally don't know how best to approach them and can easily frighten or hurt them.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
One thing that always concerns me about allowing various people to touch my birds is the potential transfer of pathogens. Not everyone (especially children) is inclined to wash their hands on a regular basis. Since parrots often like to taste the fingers of those who touch them, I think the potential for transfer of illnesses to a bird from random person contact is a valid concern as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts