Proud new Ekkie owners :D

Bizzy

Jun 15, 2012
Media
It`s been a month since we first fell in love with Dexter and we were able to bring him home today! he`s a 7month old SI Ekkie. We were able to get a great deal on him with all his toys and the enclosure. He is very friendly and has let us hold him since we first met him and even lets us rub his back.

My question is this, should i still be keeping him in his enclosure for a few days to let him adjust to his new surroundings? He has been very interested in coming out and hanging out with us and even doesn't seem to mind our Cockatiel that was very surprised to see him arrive.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Congrats!:) Could you post some pictures?

Also Welcome to the forum!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Welcome and congrats on your new addition. Please let him out of his enclosure and interact with him. BUT, isn't there always a but? DO NOT PET HIM OR STOKE HIM DOWN HIS BACK! This is sexual to a bird. This should have been explained to you from the folks you got the bird from if they are breeders. Ekkie's are not touchy feely for the most part. So it's best to test your boundariers with them slowly like touching his beak, his neck area and abdomen if he lets you.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Congrats on the new Eckie, Like mtdoramike said, be careful of stroking his back, that is a sexual, breeding thing, he is too young to start that.
My female Abby, will not let me touch her back, head or beak,
However she will let me touch her breast and under her wings, we play tickle, tickle where I tickle her under her wing and she will raise her wing, she now says tickle tickle all the time.
watch his beak, they are very strong, Abby got me on the knuckle yesterday and I thought she broke it... they are quick and do not let go very quickly especially is you make a quick move and they are on your hand or arm, they will grab with their beak so they won't fall, especially a young Eckie...their balance is not very good.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Congratulations! :D

one thing i will say, (not so much that he can get used to his surroundings) but dont molly-coddle him for the first few days or weeks [i know they're adorable]. but he also has to have time to explore his own surroundings and learn a little independence so that after you return to normal routine he wont feel like your'e giving him half the attention that you did when he first came home.

male ekkies bond well, but you don't want him to bond too well, that it can become a separation anxiety issue. :)

we left pickle to sleep in the carrier he came home in for the first few nights because we were afraid of him falling, he looked so uncoordinated (mind you he also got cllipped before he came home as well). XDD

ALSO even if he is the sweetest thing and doesn't care about the cockatiel too much i wouldn't have them together without supervision. They are like babies with putting things in their beaks. once our cockatiel landed on pickles cage and he almost took her foot off from inside the cage, simply out of curiosity. :/

OP
B

Bizzy

Jun 15, 2012
Media
Well so far so good! He's adjusting well to his surroundings. Sleeps great in his enclosure at nights and even naps through out the day depending on what kinds of things we are up to that day. Thanks for the great advise!

Most Reactions