Puck viciously attacked my roommate today :-(

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
While I was at work my mom had Puck out, and he apparently launched himself at our roommate and latched himself onto her finger! My mom was able to remove him without any injuries, and he jumped back on the roommate! My mom removed him a second time, and put him in his cage, put towels over it, and turned out the light for a while. Later, of course, he was acting like nothing happened.

It sounds like she handled it the right way, but I'd really like to find a way to stop these attacks altogether. In the past, he'd only done it to me and occasionally my boyfriend. I can avoid them usually because I've learned his body language, but most other people don't know his body language, which is kind of a hazard.

Poor roommate. She's mentally ill, and doesn't comprehend things very well. She is afraid that she might catch something from the bite. My mom and I have both reassured her that he doesn't have anything, and told her that he recently had blood tests that showed he was healthy.

My mom ordered a couple of behavioral books on parrots, so maybe they'll have some good advice on how to calm down his random bouts of demon mode.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Ok I know I'm going to get slaughtered for this I think it's time for an attitude adjustment for your fid a trip to the vet and have a beak nails and wing trim. having worked with alot of birds I know the attitude change after this is nothing short of amazing the fact that your fid has to depend on you for traveling and not being able to perch as securely not to mention not having a can opener with which to attack makes for an change that you can use. The one thing you need to remember is all those things grow back. start with step up training and and socialization and even a few simple tricks like the wave or turn around all these along with the extra one on one time with you will help your bird know that he/she is a valued member of the flock who is just learning the rules of the flock. I've seen bird that were declared mean and unruly and down right evil become sweet and calm and well behaved some in just miniutes I even had one woman watch men and she asked "Who are you and what have you done with my bird?" and she had watched the whole lesson. good luck with your bird and I hope both of you have a happy landing.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
If your room mate is unable to read Puck's body language, it might be best to not let Puck out in her presence. No matter how trained he is he will still bite in self defense, if he's startled, if he's too excited, if he's hormonal, etc.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
its awful when it happens, and as you know it reads like something the nut does, when the notion enters her little feathered brain!

my best advice is, do not excite the puck! though i agree with what friedsoup has said, but not sure about beak, as pucks beak looks ok to me? when i have guests the nut is often caged now, or let out for short period to greet guests, as i know after a period of time, she'll be giving them a nasty nip (but in there minds it'll be a all out bite an attack!)

also if puck is out alot, he will see your home as his domain! the one thing that really helped with reducing nuts attacks has been increased cage time, as in she will have a total of about 3 to 4 hours out of cage time, split between morning and evening

i do hope its a one off with puck

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
If Puck wasn't already clipped, I would clip him now! He can still launch him self a couple feet with the strength of his legs.

He's very well socialized; he loves going out, snuggling, and meeting new people, but he randomly goes into demon mode. He I've never seen him bite in self defense, unless he felt trapped (which he wasn't this time), usually he just runs away. It sounded like pure aggression to me. He just gets these mood swings, and goes crazy!

I can tell when he is, but if I'm not around, I can't tell. My mom had him out while I was not home, and this is the first time that she's had a problem. I think the roommate is going to keep her distance from him for a while...

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
if i was your room mate, i would lol

but what ever reason being, only puck knows, and like you said, you can see and understand his body language, others may not

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3867685766919

this is a classic nut, stand off but for those that don't know her will assume she wants a head rub, as its almost the same, if it wasn't for her hackles raising lol she even gives alittle, your annoying me display at the start, puck might have been doing all these at your room mate, and she just didn't notice

with luck it'll be a one time event lol

Last edited:

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
This is exactly why my mother cannot be on the same floor as Mr. Precious. If she does have to go within 100 ft of him she grabs something to throw over her head. Mr. Precious decided that she is the one he would focus all of his hate on. Sadly, the behavior with your roommate may not change. We just deal with it & minimize his chances of attack. At least he warns her by yelling "Hurt! Hurt!" just prior to the attack. Good luck.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Suebee - That does sort of look like what Puck does, especially when she hunches over. He gets "crazy eyes", and gets a little puffy.

Tammy - The problem with Puck is that it's *random*! At least you know what sets Mr. Precious off. Puck does get demony when he's overstimulated, but often, I can't figure it out. He usually LOVES the roommate! He's also done the same thing to me lots of times, and to my boyfriend (I feel like I should mention that he also tries to make sexytime my boyfriend and me, so it's not like he doesn't like us).

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
Suebee - That does sort of look like what Puck does, especially when she hunches over. He gets "crazy eyes", and gets a little puffy.

Tammy - The problem with Puck is that it's *random*! At least you know what sets Mr. Precious off. Puck does get demony when he's overstimulated, but often, I can't figure it out. He usually LOVES the roommate! He's also done the same thing to me lots of times, and to my boyfriend (I feel like I should mention that he also tries to make sexytime my boyfriend and me, so it's not like he doesn't like us).

That could be it....hormones! Puck gets frustrated and moody and acts up. Need to really limit how you pet and handle him, and because he is unpredictable limit other people's handling of him, and never allow it if your not there to supervise. The best way to prevent his biting is to not put him in a situation where it can happen. You need to reward him for good behavior, and definitely ignore him when he is behaving badly. You know birds are funny...they also have long memories. They remember everything and when they are reminded of something that makes them unhappy, or someone, it can set them off. Be patient and just keep Puck from situations he can't handle and definitely stop him and diffuse any mating behavior towards you or ur boyfriend. Good luck!

BHCowner

Oct 28, 2010
Parrots
Neo: Black headed Caique
Ive posted up many times about problems with my bird. He hates me at the moment. If i go to touch him he will take lots of skin off. But, he will come to me after a while and sit on my hand and be friendly....

No matter how much you train a caique they are too strong minded and strong willed. If they dont like someone at that point they will attack. My birds wont fly at someone but he will chase them and try and lunge if too close to the cage.

I think its a case of just being careful and supervising him at all times with other people. My bird wont even allow anyone to touch him apart from me and my mum...

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Puck is VERY strong willed! LOL. There are entire I can't safely handle him. He's strong willed about everything, whether it is sleep, food, play, etc...

He definitely needs to be under supervision of an experienced bird handler while he is out. Most of the time he's awesome, but sometimes he's mean!

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
After said roommate's behavior toward my mom yesterday, I hardly hold Puck's behavior against him. She's worse than he is! D:

BHCowner

Oct 28, 2010
Parrots
Neo: Black headed Caique
I am with you on this. I havn't been able to properly handle my bird for the last 3 days. He wont let me... he is still happy, playing etc... no plucking... but will attack any chance he gets if i go close to him. Good thing is he wont come and find me on my desk playing on my PC and bite me... just ignores me...

Most Reactions

Latest posts