Pulled in different directions - Help

Ellen

Jul 3, 2014
Oregon
After reading articles and books for the past month and reading posts on this site for the past few days by doing searches, I feel like I'm being pulled in different directions.

I like too many birds!! lol

At first, I was looking at getting a couple of finches. Then I thought about perhaps I would like a male canary. Just recently I found a few Bourke parakeets for sale and have been researching those too.

When my son was very young, 15+ years ago, we had a budgie. I was so busy that I rarely got him out of his cage. He led a good life for years. That was before computers were in homes and internet so accessible.

So I basically know nothing about birds first hand but would like to get a pet bird for myself (son grown and out of the house). I'd like to find a pet bird who doesn't need to come out of his cage everyday in case I'm out for a long period. Also, a pet bird that has a nice chirp or "song" (not too shrilly or shrieking). One that is pretty to look at and does not have to learn to do a bunch of tricks. One that doesn't bite (at least not often or hard).

Do you think I should be looking at budgies, finches, a canary, a Bourke or maybe a bird I haven't researched yet like a cockatiel? I'm not looking to get into a parrot that has a long life span and needs a lot of attention. Your opinion is greatly appreciated! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Bourkes are amazing birds. I have 2 and they are fine whether they have lots of attention or if I am too busy for a day. Mine do not bite hardly at all, and when they do it is not hard.
They are not tame, sit on your hand sort of birds, though. They prefer the flight cage over being held. They make a cute little noise at dawn and dusk, and that is about it.
I would get 2 though if you are not going to be able to interact every day so they can keep each other company. Mine are both boys so no worries about babies.
Good luck in your search:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts