Punkys playstand

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
GW Macaw 'Punky', Pineapple GC Conure 'Baby'
I recently purchased Punky a playstand. how do they go about getting on those, he went straight out of the cage and to the top when i OPENED the door to his cage today to let him out.. Advice?

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
can you handle him and physically place him on the stand? Otherwise I would put a tasty treat in one of the food cups and try to lure him over, place the playstand up against the cage so he can climb from one to the other

OP
dknight8919

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
Im giving him his time and space before I go about picking him up, Im going to wait until he's on the stand ofr a while.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I place the birds on the stands, but you can try putting it up against the cage and letting him climb on.

Probably getting to be about time though to handle him.

OP
dknight8919

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
Hes beside it now pretending like he wants to climb on, we'll see how it goes. I put grapes in the food bowl on the stand and he sure is eyeballing them from the cage door, haha.

OP
dknight8919

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
He's on the play stand, how should i go about approaching him on the stand? Is he more apt to step up on me now because of the stand being lower than me? Sorry I have so many questions.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
He's on the play stand, how should i go about approaching him on the stand? Is he more apt to step up on me now because of the stand being lower than me? Sorry I have so many questions.

I would try. That may be exactly what will help. The other thing you might try is sitting on the floor and seeing if he climbs down to you. That was the technique I first used for Pete. I opened the door and he came out, I put out my hand and he was a bit concerned and went up to the top of the cage. He climbed down to me sitting on the floor, but it took me til about the 4th time to figure out he wanted to get on my arm rather than my hand.

OP
dknight8919

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
Well he just climbed back up on the cage haha

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
When he gets on the playstand can you gently move it away from the cage? in the beginning i would place the playstand right next to the door, he would climb from the door onto the stand and then i could swing the door away from the stand so he was stuck on the stand~ does that make sense?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'd leave the stand close to the cage and not move it away,Have him step up and quickly put him on the cage.After awhile move the stand a little further away and have him step up to get a ride to the stand/back to the cage.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
With Puck, sometimes his height makes a big difference. I was perching him on his travel cage on a table (instead of a playstand, because I don't have room), and he would get aggressive. I would pick up the whole cage and put it on the floor, and he would suddenly be mellow and agreeable, haha.

Most Reactions

Latest posts