Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I'm attempting to make a PVC playstand for the fids, but I can't figure out how to attach food dishes. I've looked at several examples and it looks like most people are using bowls which are already designed to fit the tubing or perhaps they're modifying certain connectors? Can anyone shed some light? Where can I find food bowls like this?

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Not for certain but I think they use PVC end caps (large) and then glue them to the connectors. It's the only glue I've heard anyone use around birds and I don't remember what they used.

I'm in the middle of designing a play stand for my birds so I would love to see yours when it's complete.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I have purchased all the stuff to make a couple pvc playstands and I got 3" endcaps that will be glued onto an elbow or tee. I got all my pvc and fittings at home depot, including the endcaps. Like Dopey said, love to see your playstand when it's done (yours too Dopey).

Good Luck!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Is yours on file somewhere.

Mine plans are huge but the first phase is to get part of it made for my macaw to sit on. I'd like to see one made for a macaw. I'm starting to worry that maybe his tail is too long for what I have planned.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've made LOTS of these. The best way to do it is to get those Licksit locking treat cups, and drill a hole through the center of the 4 way connectors at the top of the stand. That way they just screw in.

Switch out the standard bolts for longer hardware store bolts.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Good luck! I'd love to see it when you're finished :)

I'm MUCH too busy right now, but when I get time I was going to do that too. Then I can ask you :) How about searching this forum for PVC playstand pics, and see what people did, and what sort of parts were used.

I'd love one too, but have to admit the (expensive) pre-made tree stands are tempting, as I really like the way they look.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
The pre-made don't have all that I want. ;)

I plan on having stand on each end of a big unit - one for the macaw and one for the U2. Then between those I want a place for a swing and a boing with support in between those two units. It's going to be a big unit but since it's PVC I can make them one at a time and add on as I go. Right now my immediate need is a play stand for my macaw.

OP
witchbaby

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
pineapple gcc - drago,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I've made LOTS of these. The best way to do it is to get those Licksit locking treat cups, and drill a hole through the center of the 4 way connectors at the top of the stand. That way they just screw in.

Switch out the standard bolts for longer hardware store bolts.

Thank you! That's perfect!

OP
witchbaby

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
pineapple gcc - drago,
blue & gold macaw - mia

I'm MUCH too busy right now, but when I get time I was going to do that too. Then I can ask you :) How about searching this forum for PVC playstand pics, and see what people did, and what sort of parts were used.

I'd love one too, but have to admit the (expensive) pre-made tree stands are tempting, as I really like the way they look.

I would LOVE to have a tree stand, but they're so expensive. I can't justify spending that much for one when I can make my own. Maybe someday...

I'll be sure to post photos once I'm finished. I've got the base started, but that's it so far.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The pre-made don't have all that I want. ;)

I plan on having stand on each end of a big unit - one for the macaw and one for the U2. Then between those I want a place for a swing and a boing with support in between those two units.

That design plan sounds like a great idea. True, the pre-mades might not have all the right features.
I think I might end up getting one of the tree type instead, purely based on the fact that I like how they look better. Of course I'd choose one in the right shape for me based on strategic placement of perching areas, size, etc.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

I would LOVE to have a tree stand, but they're so expensive. I can't justify spending that much for one when I can make my own. Maybe someday...

I'll be sure to post photos once I'm finished. I've got the base started, but that's it so far.

I hear you on the price. It's ridiculous that they're hundreds. I know it's the labor too, and probably takes more work than they look like. I "personally" want one that doesn't have the DIY look LOL! Though DIY can look great if it's PVC. :)

Most Reactions