Quaker and a sun conure together?

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
Hi guys I recently purchased my macaws a new cage and am looking for someone to move in there. I was thinking of parakeets but I would need to add mesh to the cage which would take away from its beauty. I was thinking of purchasing a sun conure and a quaker that are kept together since young since in my aviary store they keep babies together. The cage is massive for these birds as I currently keep two large macaws in there comfortably. I figure if I get them acclimated it hasa. Good chance to work out as they can move away from each other if trouble arises. Here is a pic of the cage in question.

2EA908E8-F514-4912-9215-923CB51CF8FA-18299-00000E0336209F85.jpg

It's the cage on the left. I would like to know your opinions. Would more fit? Would it not work etc. I tend to be a pessimist :)

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
What is the bar spacing on that cage? For smaller parrots like Quakers and Conures, it should be no more than 5/8". It looks like a really nice, spacious cage, but may be more appropriate for larger parrots than small ones.

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Spacing is nearly a inch apart :-(.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Didn't we discuss about this cage already in your other post???

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Yea Mikey that's why I'm leaning towards the conure and Quaker as opposed to the Budgies. This way I wouldn't need to add mesh to the cage.. I wanted to make sure that in a cage this large Id be able to pull off the combination

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
To do or not to do. That choice would be up to you. I wouldn't do it due to barspacing and for the safety of the birds. I have seen people keeping a cockatiel in that type of cage.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I certainly would neither put a Quaker nor a Sun Conure in a cage with 1" spacing. I'd be petrified of someone trying to squeeze through. :eek:

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Yes I was also thinking that if they were clipped a fall would be catastrophic :-(. Think I'll keep the cage in case of emergency :-( saw a cool spacious AE cage on EBay for a decent price that may work for the smaller birds. Thanks for the advice guys

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Hey guys I bought a flight for the budgies :). The spacing for the bars on the green cage is 3/4 not a inch. Is 3/4 a good size for the Quakers?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i use a cage with 3/4 bar spacing for my quaker, there is no way he could fit his head through it.

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Nice!!! Do you think I should get two in there as opposed to 1? Buy them bonded. That cage is really big I think it should limit their squabbles. What do you think?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i wouldnt normally put 2 in one cage, unless maybe you are breeding them

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
One quaker alone in that massive cage? They are aggressive towards each other?

Most Reactions

Latest posts