Quaker parrot scared of everything Is this normal?

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
I have had my first quaker parrot huffle for 2 years as he will be 3 next year. And he is horrified with almost everything outside of his cage as we had always clipped his wings because of this. He is very active and cuddly and his fear of things has bin easy to handle. But does anyone have or had a quaker like this? šŸ˜‚

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My Quaker is scared of pretty much anything outside that moves past the window. I just keep the corner of his cage closest to the window partly covered and heā€™s fine. Inside heā€™s pretty comfortable with most everything. Obviously, new things are scary! Birds are prey animals so they have a natural fear of the new or unknown. Socializing birds when theyā€™re young and introducing them to lots of new things is the best way to prevent excessive fear. In my case, my Quaker was fifteen ish years old when I got him so, unfortunately, I think his fears are pretty set in stone.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
After 2 years, a bird being absolutely terrified of everything is definitely not normal. Then again, you said it doesn't take long for him to get over his fears, and that sounds healthy and fine to me. Birds are naturally skittish. It's just their instinct-- they're prey animals and need to be vigilant. As long as he can get over his fears and still enjoy his life in a safe, non-scary environment, I would say you're doing just fine. :)

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Generally, Ralph is more curious about unfamiliar things than he is fearful. Over the years he's been with me, he's gotten over some of his earlier fears, like his aversion to cardboard boxes and anything colored orange. There are still things that upset him. If a truck goes by with a flashing light on it and Ralph can see it, a Quaker alarm call is sure to follow. If there's some new object around the apartment that he can see, most of the time he only wants to inspect it more closely and once he decides it's not a threat to parrots everywhere, he ignores it.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
Hello to all! I have had Cosmo our Quaker for a little over a month .. but heā€™s also scared of everything I feel so bad for him.
Do any of you know why lately he is bobbling his head sideways then straight up and down ..? Today he has done this like 10 times or more .. donā€™t know why .. Iā€™m worried
Can I attach a video here or only a picture?
Also he still doesnā€™t step up on my finger.
And eating Iā€™m scared because he has that mixed food and he loves the white ones that he opens thatā€™s a seed inside ..I know not good for him
I put the pellets mixed and he wonā€™t eat them. Vet told me to buy Harrisonā€™s pellets but he donā€™t eat .. anyone know any way to get him to eat them ? Supposedly seeds are bad for liver .. at least when itā€™s main food as his is ..

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Hello to all! I have had Cosmo our Quaker for a little over a month .. but heā€™s also scared of everything I feel so bad for him.
Do any of you know why lately he is bobbling his head sideways then straight up and down ..? Today he has done this like 10 times or more .. donā€™t know why .. Iā€™m worried
Can I attach a video here or only a picture?
Also he still doesnā€™t step up on my finger.
And eating Iā€™m scared because he has that mixed food and he loves the white ones that he opens thatā€™s a seed inside ..I know not good for him
I put the pellets mixed and he wonā€™t eat them. Vet told me to buy Harrisonā€™s pellets but he donā€™t eat .. anyone know any way to get him to eat them ? Supposedly seeds are bad for liver .. at least when itā€™s main food as his is ..
You can attach a video if you upload it to Youtube. Head-bobbing can have several meanings depending on when and how the bird does it. It can mean a bird is happy, playful, excited, sick, etc and it depends on how it looks and how often/when it happens.

If he doesn't step up after a month, then that's normal for a lot of birds. Stick to it! Be persistent! My rescue pionus didn't step up until about 15 months of having him. It takes a ton of time and patience, but you'll get there eventually :)

Converting a bird onto a healthier diet is also a really tedious process. Parrots are extremely picky and resistant to change. You can try mixing a tiny amount of pellets in with the seeds and then, every week or so, increase the ratio of pellets to seeds just a tiny amount. If that doesn't work, then you can ground up the pellets and sprinkle them over the seeds, or you can mash them up and mix them with water-- birds are weird and sometimes they'll need really strange and specific ways to eat their food. Just try everything and be patient, and DON'T leave Cosmo without food for over an hour or so at a time.

Similarly, if he's being resistant to healthy foods like veggies, you can put some seed over his chop, or eat vegetables in front of him, or show him videos of birds eating veggies, or try different ways of preparing them... just keep experimenting until you find out what works. And like I keep saying, DONT GIVE UP!

You seem really committed to ensuring that Cosmo has the best care possible and I'm really happy to see a new parront so passionate about their bird! Cosmo will thrive with you :) Best of luck!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My Quaker is scared of pretty much anything outside that moves past the window. I just keep the corner of his cage closest to the window partly covered and heā€™s fine. Inside heā€™s pretty comfortable with most everything. Obviously, new things are scary! Birds are prey animals so they have a natural fear of the new or unknown. Socializing birds when theyā€™re young and introducing them to lots of new things is the best way to prevent excessive fear. In my case, my Quaker was fifteen ish years old when I got him so, unfortunately, I think his fears are pretty set in stone.
I think very early socialization is key. Since I raised my budgie Rocky from an egg and constantly introduced her to new people places and things, she's fearless almost to a fault.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
Thanks so much for responding and for the information !
You can attach a video if you upload it to Youtube. Head-bobbing can have several meanings depending on when and how the bird does it. It can mean a bird is happy, playful, excited, sick, etc and it depends on how it looks and how often/when it happens.

If he doesn't step up after a month, then that's normal for a lot of birds. Stick to it! Be persistent! My rescue pionus didn't step up until about 15 months of having him. It takes a ton of time and patience, but you'll get there eventually :)

Converting a bird onto a healthier diet is also a really tedious process. Parrots are extremely picky and resistant to change. You can try mixing a tiny amount of pellets in with the seeds and then, every week or so, increase the ratio of pellets to seeds just a tiny amount. If that doesn't work, then you can ground up the pellets and sprinkle them over the seeds, or you can mash them up and mix them with water-- birds are weird and sometimes they'll need really strange and specific ways to eat their food. Just try everything and be patient, and DON'T leave Cosmo without food for over an hour or so at a time.

Similarly, if he's being resistant to healthy foods like veggies, you can put some seed over his chop, or eat vegetables in front of him, or show him videos of birds eating veggies, or try different ways of preparing them... just keep experimenting until you find out what works. And like I keep saying, DONT GIVE UP!

You seem really committed to ensuring that Cosmo has the best care possible and I'm really happy to see a new parront so passionate about their bird! Cosmo will thrive with you :) Best of luck!!
Thanks great info .. so maybe he was hungry? The head bobbling .. Well we had him downstairs and he did have food and water as always in there .. wasnā€™t in his regular cage at the time but he did it a lot of times! I just took him to vet a week ago but he wasnā€™t doing that then .. he is officially a male .. as well as no parasites or chlamydia but we are waiting for blood like liver tests ..
he has been pooping with yellow liquid around his poop all the time now idk if thatā€™s normal .. hopefully not his liver heā€™s only 4 months old .. wow poor little guy ..
as to pellets yes I really want him to eat pellets as his main food I already tried putting in pellets mixed with the other mixed seed food but he still wonā€™t touch ..
Is it bad to just give him the pellets only and just not give him his regular food anymore ?
Or will he not eat at all? Thx ā˜ŗļø

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies

Thanks great info .. so maybe he was hungry? The head bobbling .. Well we had him downstairs and he did have food and water as always in there .. wasnā€™t in his regular cage at the time but he did it a lot of times! I just took him to vet a week ago but he wasnā€™t doing that then .. he is officially a male .. as well as no parasites or chlamydia but we are waiting for blood like liver tests ..
he has been pooping with yellow liquid around his poop all the time now idk if thatā€™s normal .. hopefully not his liver heā€™s only 4 months old .. wow poor little guy ..
as to pellets yes I really want him to eat pellets as his main food I already tried putting in pellets mixed with the other mixed seed food but he still wonā€™t touch ..
Is it bad to just give him the pellets only and just not give him his regular food anymore ?
Parrots will potentially starve themselves if they really donā€™t like a food. My Quaker totally will just not eat if I only offer him pellets so I took a tip from another forum member and have been grinding his pellets and sprinkling the powder on his seeds to help him get used to the taste! Iā€™ll let you know if it works!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)

I'd recommend seeing an avian vet. It's your call, of course, but generally if you have any concerns regarding your bird's health, it's better to be safe than sorry.

And don't try to convert his diet cold turkey. He could continue to resist the pellets and starve himself to death. Make sure he always has access to something he'll eat, especially for longer periods of time.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
I'd recommend seeing an avian vet. It's your call, of course, but generally if you have any concerns regarding your bird's health, it's better to be safe than sorry.

And don't try to convert his diet cold turkey. He could continue to resist the pellets and starve himself to death. Make sure he always has access to something he'll eat, especially for longer periods of time.
Thanks šŸ™
Yea took him already but he didnā€™t have the head bobbling .. he always has food yea and I replace all food and water daily ..
just wanted him to have the pellets but yea seems he doesnt like it .. even mixing them in didnā€™t work .. I may try the blending the pellets donā€™t know exactly how to make them like powder but I will try ā€¦
if he continues the head bobbling yea I may have to take him again .. thank you !

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thanks šŸ™
Yea took him already but he didnā€™t have the head bobbling .. he always has food yea and I replace all food and water daily ..
just wanted him to have the pellets but yea seems he doesnt like it .. even mixing them in didnā€™t work .. I may try the blending the pellets donā€™t know exactly how to make them like powder but I will try ā€¦
if he continues the head bobbling yea I may have to take him again .. thank you !
As far as grinding the pellets, I happen to have a little mortar and pestle that I use but you could easily put the pellets in a bag or bowl and use something heavy like a glass to crush them.

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
As far as grinding the pellets, I happen to have a little mortar and pestle that I use but you could easily put the pellets in a bag or bowl and use something heavy like a glass to crush them.
Wow that must be difficult because the pellets are pretty dry and hard ..
I guess I.l can try it that way if not what you said ..thanks again for the information ..
Us birdie newbies appreciate this forum very much !

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Yeah I usually just put the pellets in a Ziploc bag and crush them with the end of rolling pin. It works fine.

Most Reactions

Latest posts