Quaker Question

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I am thinking about getting a quaker, and have started doing some research on them. One thing I have read is that they are possessive of their favorite person. Can I expect one to be willing to share my shoulders with a tiel?

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
I have two quakers and soon to be three (this saturday ) . I have never seen that behavior displayed by either one of my quakers and they are both boys . The third one is going to be a boy as well . Mine are not cage aggresive either so I have never had to deal with that either . As far as quakers go I think I must have the angel ones LOL !!! Quakers are awesome birds with such big personalities they are so worth having . Good luck and yes do your research and some can be loud but not all of them are loud .

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Thanks much, that will probably be the deciding paragraph on what species to get. I will continue researching till it is time to get one, but so far that was my only concern. Everything else I have read makes them sound like somewhat louder and larger versions of Bob.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Make sure they are legal in your state. I know they are illegal here in Pennsylvania, and the site I read said if you're found to have one, it must be euthanized! :(

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Colorado is not on the illegal list.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Quakers are great little birds (in my opinion). Since you had the cockatiel first, I don't imagine you'll have any troubles. Just don't leave them alone together because tiels are so passive that even parakeets will occasionally beat them up.

Petey

Sep 17, 2011
I've had my Quaker for 12 years and he Is loud, possessive of me and his cage! I love him dearly however.

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
My quaker is possessive of his cage, in love with my pionus and my husband. I can only handle him in certain situation like if he flies to the floor and needs a hand getting back to his playstand or cage. Other than that, no one else in the family can hold him. I still love the little guy though. He has an amazing vocubulary and personality plus.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I know of many people who have Quakers and 'Tiels together and they all at least tolerate each other, and in some cases, are good buddies.

Birds

Sep 24, 2011
mine is very possesive of me but the whole family can hold her but when other animals are getting atte4ntiuon she goes nuts and squawks

Most Reactions

Latest posts