Quaker vs Alexandrine

TobyMaxwell

Apr 16, 2014
Hello everyone!

I've been searching for a parrot for some time now. I'm trying to make up my mind between a Quaker and Alexandrine. I know they're both very different birds as far as personality goes. So here's what I'm looking for in a companion
1) Playful able to learn tricks.
2) Somewhat affectionate.
3) Can be left alone for 1 day a week (I work from home)
4) Talking is cute, not hugely important, I love Alex's voices.

Noise doesn't matter. I already have a cage which is big for a Quaker...and the smallest comfortable size for an alexandrine.

Thanks everyone!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Welcome to the Forums! Glad you're considering becoming a parront. Have you had birds before? They're really a joy.

What size is the cage? And what's the bar spacing? An appropriate bar spacing for an Alex may be too big for a Quaker.
Any parrot can be trained! African Gray's have a name for being the smartest parrots, but other than that, trick-training is a matter of time and patience. Keep in mind that most Alex's don't really like being touched too much, so while the Quaker may lay in your hand, the Alex might not be so willing.
That being said, and Alex has their own way of showing affection. They love to hang out with you, talk with you, keep you company and play with things you're playing with. They might not ask to be petted, but they'll definitely love you in their own silly way.
That 1 day a week; will you be gone for 24 hours? Or just like an 8 hour work day? As long as he/she has time out of the cage every other day of the week, and can self-entertain with toys and such, and have access to food and water, I don't see one day a week being an issue.
I also love the Alex's voice. So cute. I haven't heard much talking from Quakers, but like every other bird, some birds will talk and some birds won't. It all depends.
Hope I helped some, I look forward to seeing you around on the forums! There's tons of members who have lots of good advice.
You can also use the "search" function near the top of the page, some of your questions may have already been answered. :)

Most Reactions