Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I just found one of Tonyā€™s tail feathers and saw it has faint bands on the entire underside.
I broke out his feather bag and saw that all of his tail feathers are this way.
These arenā€™t stress bars or bronzing so theyā€™re just barring?
They arenā€™t on the short tail feathers, only the longer ones.
IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0427.jpeg

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thatā€™s utterly fascinating! Iā€™ve never seen such a thing before. I looked it up and itā€™s apparently froth bars!
Could you link the site? I canā€™t seem to find anything about that šŸ˜…

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I had long believed that horizontal bands are sourced to Stress and have seen them referred to as Stress stripes or Stress bands. I have not seen anything new /current, but have not specifically looked either.

The last I saw it was with Parrots entering as part of the Import facilities years ago.

Likely causes now a days can be diet transition (starvation fear), New Home /New Family, etc..

Have not seen anything that would define their development to growth as the feather grows within its cover over a short period of time and there would be great variation and not the precise pattern commonly seen.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I had long believed that horizontal bands are sourced to Stress and have seen them referred to as Stress stripes or Stress bands. I have not seen anything new /current, but have not specifically looked either.

The last I saw it was with Parrots entering as part of the Import facilities years ago.

Likely causes now a days can be diet transition (starvation fear), New Home /New Family, etc..

Have not seen anything that would define their development to growth as the feather grows within its cover over a short period of time and there would be great variation and not the precise pattern commonly seen.
He used to have really pronounced stress bars, as did my GCC before their firsts molts with me.
I wasnā€™t sure if these were too as they look really different to me.
*growth bars

Sorry, Iā€™ve got some dyslexia lol

Anyway https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1600-048X.2010.05175.x hereā€™s where I read
Iā€™ll read through this! Thanks

Last edited:

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
He used to have really pronounced stress bars, as did my GCC before their firsts molts.
I wasnā€™t sure if these were too as they look really different to me.

Iā€™ll read through this! Thanks
This is actually fascinating! I had no idea this was what they were.
Thank you! šŸ˜Š

Yeah, I wasnā€™t aware of them either! But now we both (and others who read it) do know! Also, you can find images of them on safari, google, bing, etc. and they also look identical to your quakeā€™s feathers! The more ya know!

Most Reactions

Latest posts