Question about biting

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
I am a new owner.. did a ton of research but just brought my first bird home from an amazing breeder yesterday.
The baby is WAY more tame than I even expected. She/he is napping a lot and not eating a ton, but showing no other visible signs of stress.. plenty of relaxed signs.. and is seeking me out for cuddles.

But, when she isn't napping or eating she seems to want to bite me. I'm not approaching her, I'm letting her approach me. And she is NOT biting when I do have to approach her. She will step up, let me move her, climb my arm, accept scritches with pleasure.. etc..

But then she randomly gets in these moods where she will flit over to my hand (which is just sitting innocently on my leg or on on the sofa arm), land on my hand, and start biting my thumb like she's trying to twist off a piece of flesh.

What is this?

I don't actually know for sure yet if she is a girl or boy. She has access to food, water, toys, and freedom to go in or out of the cage at will.. which is partially covered in case she wants to be alone..
It doesn't *look* like fear or anger. I'm not sure why she would be frustrated or bored. Is she just being a toddler, or am I doing something wrong?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sometimes, Parrots can see hands as a snake and will either fly or fight and in your case, bite... Keep your hands nearer to your body and out of the area where your Parrot is landing or walking about. Its not 100% but it is possible. Also, it could be a bit of testing the grounds. Kind go like where on the Power Ladder do I fit. So, why not chase away the hands!?!?

You're doing great for the number of days you two have been together. Try changing your vantage point and see if you can determine why the bitting.

Remember;
Its never the fault of the Parrot!
Its Always the fault of the Human!

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I don't know a lot about parakeets, but what I do know, I adore.
Here is a link I like to offer... it is by one of our budgie-whisperers, reeb.

http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies-parakeets/72068-taming-bonding-budgerigars-tips-beginners.html

Good luck!

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions