Question about caging Macaws together.

clawson

Jan 1, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Blue and Gold and Camilla Macaws. Quaker Parrot.
I am bringing home a B&G and a Harlequin at the same time in early March. They hatched one month apart and are living in the same "drawer" at the breeders. They are handfed together and spend 24/7 together. Would they be able to share a very large cage, or should I seperate them? The Harlequin is the younger and won't be fully weaned until the end of February. That's the reason we are waiting until March to pick them up. Any input is most welcome. Thanks.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would separate them so they can learn to bond with you instead of each other.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I also agree with Mike, Seperate them so they bond with you. This will make the bonding process much easier for you and them.
It's fine to keep the cages in the same room of close to eachother so they feel safe when you are not home. Interact with them both at the same time when they are out of the cage or playing on a gym or java tree is fine.
Please make sure that both birds are fully weaned before bringing them home or you will have your hands full. Best of luck Joe

OP
C

clawson

Jan 1, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
I appreciate the input. They will be fully weaned. We're putting 2 playgyms in the family area and the cages will be in a bedroom.... Heck, these two are gonna have it made!

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Clawson, It sounds as if they will be spoided and this is not a bad thing. Macaws are the best and make really great pets for a lifetime.
When you first get them home, please make sure you have plenty of almonds, you will need them. Macaws will do anything you ask as long as they know they will receive an almond.
Playgyms are great and so are java trees. The wood is so strong and Macaws have a hard time bitting it. It also keeps their beaks trim.
I'm not sure I would keep them in the Bedroom. Macaws at night need plenty of sleep, approx 12 hours or your will have grumpy Macaws. Also they need it really dark.
I keep my boys in my livingroom, they have seperate cages that are covered with king size quilts at night. All lights are turned off and no T.V or radios. At night make sure they have fresh water and pellets so in the morning if they wake before you, they already have food and water. This will allow you to sleep in a little.
Just like having children, try to get your Macaws on a schedule, this means feed them, bath them, play time, sleep time so they get used to your schedule and theirs.
Keeping a Macaw on a schedule and great diet helps prevent feather plucking and getting bored.
Best of luck and remember to post pictures, we all would love to see these babies. Joe

OP
C

clawson

Jan 1, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Jjones, I really appreciate the advice. We have a seperate bedroom for the birds. I don't think I could have them sleep in the same room with me because they'd learn to snore and never sleep.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Jjones, I really appreciate the advice. We have a seperate bedroom for the birds. I don't think I could have them sleep in the same room with me because they'd learn to snore and never sleep.

LOLOL... that's so funny...

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
Lol, that's so funny. Nothing like teacjing a macaw to snore. That's awsome

Most Reactions