Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
Queegy, my older BFA with a mysterious past, has asymmetrical wings. I was told that she "probably" had her wings clipped during her first 30 years. Is that ever done asymmetrically? Or could feathers grow back on one side and not the other? She is really off-balance if she tries to use her wings to land at all. It's a shame. Note: when I took her to the vet, Queegy was so skittish that the vet pretty much kept her toweled and didn't catch this.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Unlikely but possible... I would think the feather follicles were probably damaged on one side and not the other. Are her wings (the part without feathers) symmetrical?

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
People do clip only one wing sometimes... but that should'nt cause permanent problems with feathers growing back, unless the follicles or something is damaged like monicamc said - or if you mean pinioning, but i have never heard of that only being done on one side...

OP
sarafigal

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Actually, I found one side (on clipping or pinioning waterfowel in particular) that urges clipping or pinioning ONLY one wing. Here it is, if you are interested: Pinioning - Pinion - Pinion - Squaw Creek Farm

I'm sad for Queegy: I'd like for her to be able to fly in the house, at least from table to perch! And now she cannot. If her condition is simply one clipped wing, how long does it take for the feathers to grow back?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If it's just a clip and there's no damage, then you could be looking at anywhere from a few weeks to an entire year, depending on when she molts next.

OP
sarafigal

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Thanks! It is hard to really get a handle on her condition, since I can't touch her...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
my friends have a cockatiel who has a pinion wing, someone tried clipping his wings and instead cut off a chunk of his wing bone D: when they got him he had exposed bone it was terrible.

Pinioning used to be popular at zoos, usually only one wing.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Pinioning has long been an accepted practice with farm birds; chickens, turkeys, ducks. It lets them escape danger, but, not fly too far. With pet birds, not too common anymore. To prevent problems, I'd trim the other wing, making flight less hazardous. And as feathers grow back, it will help stabilize new flight. I'm sorry, but, your vet should have examined the bird more closely. A difficult bird should not be a problem for a competent vet.

Most Reactions