Question about feather in babies

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Hi. Does anybody know at what age all the feathers are in? Specifically, can a 11-week old GCC stil have the odd feather growing in? We noticed a couple of pin feathers on Tiki's head and cheeks these past few days and know its definitely not a molt since he's only 11 weeks. I kinda think the breeder is either really on the ball or she just picks one hatch date for all her birds because she doesn't band them because she is against banding due to stories of foot injury. So how can she keep track of 10 or more baby conures and their birthdates... Unless like I said she's really on the ball.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Conures are progressive molders, so they are often losing and replacing a feathere here and there, but that does seem quite early. They other option is that the feathers were somehow removed eight by the bird, by getting caught on something (esp if he had dried food on the for breakfast or something like that), etc. of course, it is not at all unheard of for a breeder to make up and age.

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I am certain our Tiki is young and less then 3 months old. I was just thinking without a band, how can she keep track of numerous birds and know whether this one hatched on, for example April 10th as opposed to April 15th since the eggs hatch on different days.

When we brought Tiki home, he was so young that he didnt know how to hold a treat with his foot yet, but in about a week to 2 weeks time (at approx 8-9 weeks he learned). I question his age being off but I know it's only off by maybe a week or two. My question initially is whether at age 11 weeks they still have baby feathers emerging.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No by then he should be fully feathered, it six weeks old is VERY young to send a baby home! I highly question the responsibility of this breeder. As to your question, perhaps the breeder does keep records. It is not hard to tell babies apart if you are only dealing with a clutch or two, when you have raised them. I personally keep a written record and even when I was first banding and missed the window to band some of the chicks I could easily tell you their hatch dates and other details about them such as when I first saw them take their first solid food, when they took their first flight, etc.

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Yea I questioned whether 6 weeks as too young too but she said she makes sure each bird is fully weaned and eating well before letting them go. Honestly, tiki was great and ate very well. He didnt regress and was trying new foods once home. In fact I called her to confirm date of hatch as I thought he was too mature for 6 weeks and she then went on and told me all that she did to raise the birds and stuff like that. She did have a journal with her so maybe she does keep really good records and knows her babies in order to Id them without a band.

Most Reactions