Question about feeding bowls

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Ok I know some of you macaw owners will read this and laugh but I really need some assistance here. My baby B&G has learned how to remove his food and water bowl from his playstand. He starts off with lifting and stacking, then he puts them back where they go. He then does this lifting and stacking in reverse and for his final act he flings them full across the room. It's fun watching him remove them and stack but its getting old watching the pellets and veggies go flying and then goes the water. Do your birds so this? I know that macaws can be messy but come on! Got any advise?

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Ok I know some of you macaw owners will read this and laugh but I really need some assistance here. My baby B&G has learned how to remove his food and water bowl from his playstand. He starts off with lifting and stacking, then he puts them back where they go. He then does this lifting and stacking in reverse and for his final act he flings them full across the room. It's fun watching him remove them and stack but its getting old watching the pellets and veggies go flying and then goes the water. Do your birds so this? I know that macaws can be messy but come on! Got any advise?
Ah, the joys of owning big strong parrots :D.

I either have a fastening mechanism on each of their bowls or use bowls that are both heavy and very difficult for them to grasp - 'heavy' alone is not enough ;).

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I thought I was a little safe because the bowl have these metal bumps that have to go in one way than you turn them to lock. I can't believe he figured this out so fast!

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
I thought I was a little safe because the bowl have these metal bumps that have to go in one way than you turn them to lock. I can't believe he figured this out so fast!
Macaws are great 'dismantlers' ;)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Wow. I never knew this... but then again, I don't live with a Macaw. My Cherry-head is pretty good about turning big water bowls upside down when they aren't the ones affixed to his cage. He also flings snack dishes like flying saucers when he's no longer interested. He must have little bit Macaw in him.

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12

Squeeze the holder ring closed so you have to spin the bowl so the tits have to line up with the relief to get the bowl out.

Our 2 was pulling out the bowls because they were to loose. I squeezed it and she can't do it anymore

Hope that helps

Most Reactions