question about legbands

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Pyro, my new baby sun conure
I just realized that Pyro doesn't have a legband on and he didnt come with any paperwork at all. I thought birds have to have a legband when they come from a breeder to prove that they aren't wild caught. Am I wrong?

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Seems to me a leg band *could* be put on any animal regardless of how it's obtained. I always thought leg bands were for indentification purposes. I have no idea though.

OP
S

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Well I know he isnt wild caught and I have the breeders id, so I guess that's all I need right?

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Leg bands are a way for the breeder to recognize the bird,(when it was hatched, date, etc..). I have seen many birds without bands. They are breeder choice, some use a different color each year, some have numbers on it for the number bird hatched that year. No matter who you buy the bird from, you should get basic info, day and month of hatch, usually on a certificate.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
It seems to me you should have gotten some paperwork... I haven't bought a lot of pets though. I didn't get any with Puck, but I bought from a previous owner.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
River came from a breeder, but doesn't have a legband. The breeder explained that there's a short time period when the band needs to be put on, and she missed his. She did give me his leg band though to keep.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
The main reason i use leg-bands is to easily identify a chick that has been DNA sexed & also which nest they come from, comes in handy when pairing up unrelated birds.

You have to place the bands on their legs around 14 days old. Otherwise split rings have to be used, I much rather use the closed rings.

Last edited:

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
legband is just for identification, normally they make sure they get vet cert from breeder ..

OP
S

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
I do have the hatch date, but just because I asked when I put a deposit down. Honestly I didnt know what I was doing when I first started looking for a breeder. I learned more after I put a deposit down by reading to prepare myself for Pyro's arrival. I probably didnt pick the best breeder. I didnt get any kind of certificate, paperwork, heath cert from vet or a legband whether its on or off. He told me he "knows" his birds are healthy when he ships them. There is no kind if guarantee here at all and it isnt like I paid less for Pyro. This breeders price is comparable with others. Its my fault though. I didnt know what I was doing. I guess it all worked out though because Pyro is healthy and well tempered.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
SunMommy, I can't comment on your Government's rules & regulations on owning a companion parrot but if suns are a commonly keep parrot in your country the breeder may not have to pass on any paper work. If your worried at all contact your government dept that handles licences for wildlife. You should be able to google it.

OP
S

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
SunMommy, I can't comment on your Government's rules & regulations on owning a companion parrot but if suns are a commonly keep parrot in your country the breeder may not have to pass on any paper work. If your worried at all contact your government dept that handles licences for wildlife. You should be able to google it.

Ill be taking Pyro for his first vet visit tomorrow. I will ask the vet about this, but really I think everything is fine. I was simply curious because I just realized he didn't have a legband and I really thought it was required. But after reading more up on it and reading everyone's comments, I know that it is not a requirement. I do like my breeder that I used. I shouldnt have bad mouthed him. He did a great job with Pyro. He is healthy, as far as I know. Pyro is also very tame. I really feel lucky to have gotten such a wonderful bird. I am a first time bird owner and have prepared myself well for this, but there is a lot that I don't know. I try to educate myself more and more everyday and I have learned so much from reading this forum. I really like having people to talk to and help me through this transition (introducing a parrot into my life). It has been such a wonderful experience so far and I cant thank everyone enough for all the help.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I really don't like leg bands!!! Im gonna have to bring Dixie and Willie in to have them removed....been wanting to do that for a long time, just been procrastinating....

Most Reactions

Latest posts