question about molting

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
Davy seems to be in a very heavy molt. The last month he has been losing a lot of feathers, from all over. I am getting worried, he doesn't look bad (as in plucking bare spots) and the feathers are growing back in, but you can tell that he is in molt. I am probably being a worry wort. My boyfriend thinks it is because of the better food (he was on walmart seed and caption crunch cereal before) and he gets veggies, fruits and pellets now.

So I guess my questions are how long is a typical molt last? Is he okay as long as new feathers are coming in? Thanks guys!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
They usually have 2 molts per year. But because they live indoors now , that can change a bit. They usually have a major and a minor molt, sounds like you're have a major which could last a good month or longer. Yes a improved diet will lead to bigger/better molt as it does take nutrition to replace all those feathers. If he'd been on a poor diet then he might be replacing more feathers than normal.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Behind Sydney's cage looked like a parrot exploded back there, so don't worry about the volume of feathers for sure! It looks like a lot but it happens pretty quick, but there's also a lot of feathers to replace. Molts typically happen symmetrically and there shouldn't be any "bald" spots.

OP
I

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
Henpecked, thank you for the info. I agree this is most definitely a major molt! It has been over 7 years before Davy that I had any fids, so I don't trust myself to know.

Aquila, I have a gallon baggie with 15 -20 tail and wing feathers (they are beautiful! so I may try making something with them) and yes i could create another bird from them haha. It seems pretty symmetrical, and he looks a little less "put together" with some fluff underneath showing through, but no bald spots and even those spots will go away after a preening session or even a fluff and shake.

I am making sure he has plenty of healthy fun food/snacks to eat, he plays with his toys and with me when in the mood, he talks and makes happy noise and loves being in the thick of things with my busy household. Every other sign tells me he is thriving and happy, but of course I worry! Thanks again, if it gets to bad I will take him to the vet, but I think you guys are right, it seems like a normal heavy molt.

Most Reactions

Latest posts