Question about 'optigrill' or other nonstick small applicance

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I have read lots about the dangers of Teflon and cooking them on high heat. I tried to not use Teflon, but failed. Although I am very careful when using it, making sure the fids are in another room and having the hood fan on. Lately I have read that it is not just the stove top pans that we have to worry about, and that small applicances or ovens with nonstick coating are dangerous too. Hubby asked for an '!optigrill' for Xmas. It's the only thing he asked for, and there is a long story here, but the short version is - he doesn't love the fids and they don't love him. I got him the optigrill but I am soooo worried because of the nonstick coating. With the stovetop Teflon pans, we can control the temperature and make sure we don't cook past medium heat. I don't know whether the optigrill cooks at high enough heat to harm the birds because it appears the settings are "fish, chicken, steak, or sandwich", although its not Xmas yet so can't try it out. I had dreams of my fids dying last night from the grill. MY QUESION HERE IS DOES ANYONE USE AN OPTIGRILL or a George Foreman grill and what should I do?

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Not to scare you, but I'd personally never use an indoor grill around birds that wasn't ceramic. That's just my personal preference. Have you tried looking into ceramic grills that are PTFE and PFOA free like these ones?

http://www.georgeforemancooking.com...ducts/gfg240x-dual-surface-grill-griddle.aspx

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00O7G39UG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1448907030&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=ceramic+indoor+grill&dpPl=1&dpID=41kYadSo1ZL&ref=plSrch"]Sunbeam Oster DuraCeramic Griddle with Warming Tray, Black and Silver:Amazon[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00ITPJ0JU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448907030&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=ceramic+indoor+grill&dpPl=1&dpID=41zxOZLpG6L&ref=plSrch"]Oster CKSTPM6001-ECO Extra Large DuraCeramic Panini Maker and Indoor Grill:Amazon[/ame]

I apologize for them all being Canadian, my internet automatically searches in .ca for me.

Imo, there's no reason you can't have your birds safe and hubby happy! Just be willing to compromise [emoji4]

Edit: I also just saw that the OptiGrill has ceramic plates and a stainless steel version - perhaps just okay those ones and double check they don't release PFAO's or PTFE's and you'll both be double happy!

Last edited:
OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
May I ask where you saw the optigrill with ceramic plates? I am in Canada too :). Mine is from walmart
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/optigrill-stainless-steel-indoor-electric-grill/6000132329686[/URL]

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/T-Fal-Grill-Ceramic-Plates-Recipe/dp/B01606852C"]Amazon.com: T-Fal Opti Grill with Ceramic Plates & Recipe Book: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock and I'm not sure they ship to Canada :( But apparently they do exist! I wonder if you could contact T-fal and see if they have the ceramic plates in Canada?

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
I don't think that's safe! :( I was researching Optigrill and it looks like the brand is T-fal, which is a non-stick manufacturer just like Teflon, Quantanium, Silverstone, Calphalon, etc. They are all brand names (even though we commonly associate "teflon" as a material, it is just one of many non-stick brands). I've heard that even cooking on low heat can be harmful or fatal...

The danger is PTFE (polytetrafluorethylene) and PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic acid). And unless the product specifies specifically "PTFE-free" and "PFOA-free", I bet it has it. Although you could probably set it up in the garage and use it completely away from them. I got rid of all our non-stick that I wasn't 100% sure about (waffle irons, space heaters, hair straighteners can all have it too). We use ceramic non-stick and love it!

Here is an indoor grill on Amazon that is PTFE and PFOA free! It has a ceramic non-stick coating. What do you think? (I checked their shipping and they do ship to Canada). :)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTPM6001-ECO-DuraCeramic-Panini-Indoor/dp/B00ITPJ0JU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448940497&sr=8-2&keywords=indoor+ceramic+grill+ptfe+free]Amazon.com: Oster CKSTPM6001-ECO Extra Large DuraCeramic Panini Maker and Indoor Grill: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I wouldn't go with anything t-fal. I used to have an entire teflon set by them - yes they are VERY high quality, but I got rid of all of mine and invested in stainless steel.

I'd stick with that or cast iron.

Whatever you decide to get keep this in mind. Anything that is pre-coated with any type of chemical material is likely not bird safe. Your best bet is to find out what the product is made of and research it. As a general rule, teflon is dangerous.

Even if the birds are out of the room, odors can linger and birds have a MUCH more sensitive respiratory system than us. Just because we don't smell it doesn't mean they don't. Not to mention a person cannot guarantee that they will never burn something no matter how precautionary they are. Better safe than sorry.

OP
TacoNTiki

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Well I didn't want to take the chance of killing our birds so we returned the optigrill. Hopefully we can find the ceramic version soon. I also made a better attempt at not cooking with a Teflon frying pan by researching which ceramic pan to buy. I found the Heritage, the Rock ceramic pans at Canadian tire on sale for 70% off! Bought one of them, used it and loved it. Went out and bought a 2nd pan of a different size. The sad thing is the more I research the more I find its not just pots and pans, it's also baking sheets, and ovens. I don't know how everyone's birds survive really, unless no one cooks, or blow dries their hair, etc!

I love our fids and they are the best companions, but I am sure finding it tough some days (not killing them by accident). And I also worry about an upcoming weekend away because I know they won't come out of cage very much while daughter and I are gone because tiki bites the heck out of hubby and he can't put up with it after a few bad ones.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
I'm sorry to hear that you returned it, even though it is for the safety of your fids. It can certainly be hard adjusting our lifestyles for birds, and most don't realize how difficult it is to have a bird safe environment (which is why I think we all get a bit on edge when people just jump into parronthood).

I think hair dryers are a bit of an exception in the sense that they don't get too high in temp (or at least shouldn't for the health of your hair), and can be used in a bathroom that should have good ventilation. Cookware is an expensive switch though, as I'm currently saving for some expensive ceramic as well - German stuff is super expensive but the quality is amazing! With ovens, once again having the fan on and never using the self-cleaning function helps create a safer environment. IMO PTFE's and PFOA's are unsafe for us anyways... there's a reason you're seeing more and more ceramic. They've known for awhile that PTFE's are carcinogenic, so it's been a goal for the cancer society to have them phased out.

It can certainly be difficult when we welcome birds into our lives to provide the best and safest care, and there's a lot of pressure from avian communities to always do things a certain way - huge cages, flight harnesses, organic foods, the list goes on. When you welcome such an emotionally intelligent but undomesticated animal into your home it can be so hard to feel like you're doing everything right. I know I get stressed out about parrot ownership too. Am I feeding the right foods? Are my birds trained enough? Have they been socialized enough? Do I give them enough time out? Should I buy them bigger cages? Do they need more toys? Have they foraged enough today? On and on it goes!

But honestly, I think you're doing an amazing job as it is, and don't discredit the fact that you've provided a loving, caring home for your birds. We do the best we can with what we have, and I think that's what matters the most. So don't get too stressed out! Parrots give back love 100 fold. And we're always here for you if you need help [emoji4]

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Dinosrawr Not only that but people who have never had birds who make it sound like having a parrot is like owning a goldfish. Or worse yet, they'll "claim" to know it all because, as they say, 'my mom had finches when I was little.' or 'I used to have a parakeet when I was a kid.'

Now don't get me wrong. Someone can love a budgie just as much as they can a conure. Or even a goldfish for that matter. I know, I had my budgie Sammy for eleven years and he was my best friend. Budgies are also incredibly smart and funny. But some parrots have more needs and responsibilities than others. I don't think 'non-bird' people get that when it comes to birds.

I also think soooooo many people get into parronthood thinking they got it all figured out only to discover that no they don't. It does pay to do research BEFORE making that purchase. Unfortunately, with suns - too often people make impulse purchases based on their plumage.

Skittles colors isn't want won me over. I knew he was beautiful, but I've seen plenty of beautiful birds and it wasn't like it was a 'new' thing to me. It was his 'hopping' and excitement at seeing me that won me over. Especially when he ignored everyone else that came to see him. That's when "I knew".

The ironic thing is, I had decided to get rid of all my teflon cookware and purchased a new stainless steel cooking set about four months before I got him. It was not because I was getting another bird. Peaches is in a separate room on the other side of the apartment. I got the new cooking set because it was on sale.

The same day I was planning on ordering my new PC, was the same day I bought Skittles. Funny thing is, I kept putting off getting the PC because I couldn't make up my mind on which kind to get. Then the Thursday before, voila, here came Skittles.

To many coincidences added up. I know I tell that story a lot, but that's because it was a turning point in my life - getting him was the best thing I ever did.

Whenever I take Skittles outside - the FIRST thing almost all of them ask is "Does he talk?" right after commenting on his colors. THAT irks me to no end.

When people ask me what kind of parrot he is, how much do they cost and where did I get him they don't like what I tell them. Usually, as soon as I tell them the cost, they're like "forget that!". Tragedy avoided as far as I'm concerned. I don't tell strangers the cute and funny things he does. I tell them of the requirements (cookware, candles, air fresheners, ACs etc) and the 'not so cute' things he does. I find in almost all cases, it dissuades them from buying one that will end up on Craigslist.

It's a shame I have to do that. But if I really wanted a sun conure - I wouldn't let those things dissuade me. They didn't when the clerk told me how loud and demanding they are.

Anyways, enough of my ranting.

alfmeister

Nov 20, 2016
I recently purchased the T-Fal Optigrill at Costco for US $99.99. This is the ceramic plates version. It is wonderful! Steaks, chicken, sausages and panini sandwiches all grill perfectly. I've wanted an indoor electric grill but would never buy one with teflon because of our cockatiel Louie whom we love dearly. (Named 'her' Louie before we knew she was a she. She is over two years old and layed eggs.)
The ceramic plates are super easy to clean. If they are really messy such as after cooking marinated steaks I put them in the dishwasher. If I cooked a sandwich I just wipe the surface clean. The model sold at Costco is in stainless and is easy to clean the exterior. I use the grill on top of my smooth top stove and above it is a microwave hood combination which makes it easy to control the moisture when cooking.
Anyway I'm very happy with it. Beware though that most retailers (Bed Bath and Beyond, JC Penney, etc) sell the teflon version of this same grill. You have to specify ceramic in the search. I see Amazon also sells it but you have to be careful to select the ceramic plates version which I've linked to.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts