Question about shred toys

kriskoeh

Sep 18, 2011
Parrots
Sun Conure
I have saved several empty toilet paper rolls/paper towel rolls. I wasn't really sure WHY I saved them but I knew I'd find a use for them. I have planned to cover a couple in some fabric and use them to keep the cords behind our computers together.

I was considering making a shred toy for Blaze...but not really sure if I should use them for that or not. Would it be safe?

Thanks!!

:orange:

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
Nic Nic..."World's Quietest" Eleonora Cockatoo
My Nic Nic shreds just about every cardboard roll we use in our home. I have never had a problem, but I also use Eco-Friendly paper rolls with no glue on them.

OP
kriskoeh

kriskoeh

Sep 18, 2011
Parrots
Sun Conure
My Nic Nic shreds just about every cardboard roll we use in our home. I have never had a problem, but I also use Eco-Friendly paper rolls with no glue on them.

Ok. I have no idea where to get Eco-friendly with no glue. Lol. I was actually just thinking of clipping around the glue.

I'll have to check into the Eco-friendly ones :)

Thanks!!

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
I believe I read a post awhile ago that a paper towel/toilet paper company wrote where they did NOT believe the glue was safe for parrots to chew (as they did not create it with the intention of an animal chewing it). They are probably fine if they get a hold of one but I wouldn't use regularly. The toilet paper itself is fine I believe. Its too bad, Charlie used to talk into the roll and chew it up and throw it around until I read that. Just use the same caution with the eco ones as it may still have a glue thats toxic to parrots/animals even if at the same time its biodegradable or uses recycled paper. I would look into the brand you use and their adhesives before you let the parrot let loose. (TonyCagg's, for example have no glue in them).

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I was watching a video on youtube, it was the guy that reads peoples letters and then answers their questions about parrots. He also wrote a book, I can't think of his name off the top of my head but someone just posted one of his videos(the trusting 'too one) a few days ago. Anyway, he said that you shouldn't use them because of the glue and also because of the fact that they are kept in the bathroom and right next to the toilet so they are usually pretty icky with fecal matter particles which can make your parrot sick. I don't know how true this is, I'm sure there is fecal matter on them, but the extent of it I'm not sure or if it could actually harm your bird. I used to give them to my birds all the time and never had an issue and I was saving them up for ziggy until I saw that vid. I have just been erring on the side of caution and not giving them to her just to be sure. If you get paper towels without glue on them, those rolls should be safe.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I give mine paper towel rolls all the time. I just buy the target brand ones and I have never had a problem.

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
All three of my birds love them. I get the cheap dollar store brand because they don't have glue. I have to save up three rolls before i can give them out or the other two birds let you know they are not happy.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
IcyWolf - It was Rod V I think. I saw him posted on here a while back.

I haven't been giving them to Puck since I heard that, but my mom's dog LOVES them! XD

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Beside the glue, scented toilet roll has perfume sprayed on the cardboard roll in most cases and I don't know how safe that would be. People seem to be using them just fine, but I'm usually a better safe then sorry kinda gal!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Beside the glue, scented toilet roll has perfume sprayed on the cardboard roll in most cases and I don't know how safe that would be. People seem to be using them just fine, but I'm usually a better safe then sorry kinda gal!

You just made me think of another point, my toilet paper roll holder is one of the ones with the scented ball things inside of it, I can imagine that would make the rolls unsafe as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts