Question About Weight

graceyann

Dec 23, 2016
Kansas
Parrots
1 Timneh African Grey
Last night, Freckles and I were playing......she's decided that "outside" the cage is a pretty cool place to be, sits on my shoulder, the couch, her play stand.....I let her go where she's comfortable, and she definitely seeks me out, wants to be close and involved in whatever I'm doing.
Here's my concern.....I was petting her and I stroked her front and should I be able to feel her keel bone? It isn't pronounced, but I felt it......and it has me worried that something may be missing in her diet.
She was fed primarily seeds when I took her in......I have added pellets to the mixture and keep that available to her all day. In the morning, she likes a bowl of fruit and at night, vegetables, some granola (organic) and if she expresses interest in my dinner, I let her sample.
Should I be concerned, folks?
Freckles is a 35 year old Timneh....she was DNA tested and is a "she".
I want to try making bird bread and some "chop" this weekend......see if I can continue giving her a better diet.
Also, she has dropped two feathers.....good??
Appreciate the help and words of wisdom, very, very much!
Ann

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Check this site out.

From your post it sounds like Freckles has a healthy appetite. She isn't eating a monotonous diet, so that's good.

This site has a table with healthy weights by species. A Timeh, it states, should weight between 300 to 360 grams, or three-quarters of a pound.

Last edited:

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Here's a pictorial of the keel bone. A 3-4 is a good weight.
8490812541_b710447e58.jpg

OP
G

graceyann

Dec 23, 2016
Kansas
Parrots
1 Timneh African Grey
Check this site out.

From your post it sounds like Freckles has a healthy appetite. She isn't eating a monotonous diet, so that's good.

This site has a table with healthy weights by species. A Timeh, it states, should weight between 300 to 360 grams, or three-quarters of a pound.
I'm feeling a whole lot better now!! Many, MANY Thank yous!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
You can always ask a vet what healthy weight is good for your bird. Buy a digital scale and log it. That's what I do. Every week sissy gets weighed. Could give you a piece of mind...my last bird was dehydrated so I also log liquid intake.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Since bringing Buzz home, I've felt his keel bone. He's a pig so feeling his keel bone with some meat around it is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
That pictorial representation is a really good one. Thanks for providing it, SassiBird!

Yeah, if your bird is a 3.5, then you're good. The pectoral muscles should be just about flush with the keel, so you can just feel it, but it isn't pronounced.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I feel Perjos once a month at minimum for a weight check. It's been consistent from what I can tell, and frankly I would be happier if she was a tad pudgy instead of too thin.

OP
G

graceyann

Dec 23, 2016
Kansas
Parrots
1 Timneh African Grey
I feel Perjos once a month at minimum for a weight check. It's been consistent from what I can tell, and frankly I would be happier if she was a tad pudgy instead of too thin.

that's how I feel about Freckles!! she and I will be together 8 weeks tomorrow (Saturday, February 4th).....and she delights me.
last night, she climbed up on to the top of her cage cupola and did her vroom, vroom, vroom routine.....she had me rolling on the floor laughing.....and when I applauded her performance, I swear she took a bow :)

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I got Perjo to bow her head. The goal was to get her to understand the difference between head up and head down, b/c I want her to bop her head to music. I don't see a lot of CAGs that do that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts