Question about wings!!

OlliesMama

Mar 8, 2017
Columbia SC
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw Ollie
Hi. I am new to this group. I have had my baby boy Ollie since he was a tee tiny little bald baby. I hand fed him & he is now 2 years old will be 3 in November He is absolutely spoiled & my baby. I don't know for sure if he is a boy or not. I am getting him DNA tested soon. Its something I've been putting off due to the fact that Oliver isn't a feminine name lol Anyways long story short. I took Ollie to get his wings trimmed about a year & a half ago. I took him to who I thought was a reputable bird vet. they were not. I attached a picture of exactly what his wings look liked (this isn't a picture of him) Fast forward a year & a half (the second picture is how his wings look now) & he chews only the wings that were cut & now they are scratching his side which I think is causing irritation. I took him to a local lady here that does alot of rescue work to see what she recommended. She ended up pulling all those feathers on one side to see how he would do when they grew back in. She said to come back in two weeks & she would pull the other side. She recommended AviGlo & Featheriffic. Have you guys used either of these products? Is pulling the feathers something that should be done? She said they were completely dead. I have absolutely no problems out of him. He doesn't scream he isn't aggressive or overly destructive. I got really lucky & Im blessed with a sweet boy.
:blue1::blue1:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_9941.PNG
    IMG_9941.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 182

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
WOW, where to start is my biggest problem!

Let's start with Vet Care. It is very important to find a Certified Avian Vet (CAV), this group is Board Certified Avian Care Vets and with hope, in side of a three hour drive!

There are also a group out there that are referred to as Avian Qualified Vets (AQV), this group group has taken additional courses /studies in Avian Care.

An additional group has as a result of their individual interests in Avian Care and/or to support their client base have 'learned' to support, care for and include Avian care as a part of their practice.

In Rural areas, the Farm Care Vet (Large Animal Vet) that has included Birds commonly found on Farms is another source.

Please understand that the shear volume of Cats and Dogs can easily support a multi-Vet Clinic without the need to include Exotics. Therefore, there is little reason to include Exotics to their support base. That does not mean that a smaller Clinic will not except Avian, but they do so more out of a heartfelt want to help.

Avian medical support is a specialty that without specialized training can result in the Death or serious injury of a Parrot!

Non-trained Individuals providing medical and/or support services, who are operating without the guidance of an CAV or at least a AQV are working blindly. The vast majority of these individuals are trying to provide services based on knowledge they have garner from other like individuals over the years. The 'Science' of Avian Care is based on a growing knowledge base that requires frequent updates through the AAV.

Your MAC's Wings!
There is a rightful fear in the Avian World of one's Companion Parrot becoming a Feather Mutilator. There a many known causes and one of the most common is 'poorly' trimmed Wing Feathers that as a result cause irritation of the Parrot's body.

To remove more than a couple Wing Feathers balanced between both Wings is inhuman. Removal of more than a couple of feathers from a single Wing and later the other Wing is just as inhuman.

Flight Feathers require large amounts of stored energy from the body to create those feathers! Removing large numbers of feathers from a Parrot's flight surfaces without assuring that the Parrot is healthy enough to support such demands on the energy stores opens to Parrot to potential health problems. Such actions without a CBC blood screen and knowledge of an in place natural healthy diet is just as inhuman!

Your MAC needs to be seen by a professional that knows what they are doing and if your MAC is not on a Natural Healthy Diet, you need to introduce such a Diet yesterday!

Most Reactions