Question for my budgie

cocothebudgie

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
Hey everyone, I came here with a question that has been on my mind for a while

I got my budgie about 2 weeks ago and now he is used to me, comes out all the time and is overall just an amazing bird for a first time owner. But I've been thinking about getting him a companion, a female budgie most likely. Something that occurs to me is that the fact many people are saying that I have to put it in another cage for them to get used to each other? I don't have a problem in doing this but the only drawback I see is getting another cage and spending money again. Any suggestions rather than a new cage?

Thanks in advance

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I've skipped the introduction part before and done fine, it doesn't always go that way though. The main issue is that you should always quarantine and vet check a new bird, so a second cage is required anyway.

OP
C

cocothebudgie

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
I've skipped the introduction part before and done fine, it doesn't always go that way though. The main issue is that you should always quarantine and vet check a new bird, so a second cage is required anyway.
Thank you so much Keet_Krazy!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Get a bird for you, not for your bird. Especially this early....you might find out your parrot suddenly is more interested in the other bird than you. I wouldn't reccomend it until you have a lot more bonding time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I got my budgie about 2 weeks ago and now he is used to me, comes out all the time and is overall just an amazing bird for a first time owner. But I've been thinking about getting him a companion, a female budgie most likely. Something that occurs to me is that the fact many people are saying that I have to put it in another cage for them to get used to each other? I don't have a problem in doing this but the only drawback I see is getting another cage and spending money again. Any suggestions rather than a new cage?

Thanks in advance
If you spend a lot of time with your budgie, a couple hours playing with him and then even just being in the room together you really don't need to get him a companion bird. If you do, he probably won't seek out your company as much. It will also be more difficult to tame the new budgie who will naturally rather spend time with his own kind. If you really want to get a second budgie I would wait about six months to ensure your first budgie is fully tame before you introduce a second bird. If your first is male and your second is female, they will probably get along but maybe too well, and begin to try to breed. I don't think you want that. Two males almost always get along very well. Two females can fight.
With a second budgie you definitely need a second cage. Quarantine is important. Plus it's always possible that your two budgies won't get along and you will need to separate them so one doesn't get injured in a squabble.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I myself never have had a single budgie (not personally a fan of that idea...), but know many people who have and then get their budgie a friend. I don't really remember any of them saying they lost their bond with the first. In fact your first budgie will likely show the new one how you are not a threat, and speed up your bonding.
I have five budgies and sometimes they do choose to interact with me even though they have many friends :).

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I have four budgies and my first one is still very bonded with me. She was very friendly to begin with (she was a rescue that was supposedly not tame, maybe she knew I rescued her and that's why she was so friendly), and has remained that way despite getting her a mate and having children. All of my budgies live together in one cage and it hasn't made them untame or anything. They love to be in their cage as well and housing them together is a big reason why. Even when the door is open they all hang out together in the cage, but they're still very friendly.

I think parrots are more intelligent and social than we give them credit for. I have eight parrots and they each have a cage mate and are bonded but they still love my company and hate when I leave the room. I thought they would be happy with their friends and not want me around anymore (and I was prepared for that as I didn't want them to think of me as their mate, and wanted them to be happy birds with their own kind), but I was very wrong and they still crave my company, even the budgies. Even when they hear me come home they call out to me and it's different to their warning sound when anyone else comes home. They even move to try and stop me leaving the room if they think I'm leaving them. And wherever I am, they all hang around me and watch me which is kind of scary.

I think it does them the world of good to have another bird with them, birds can give them companionship that a person can't. And they should still stay bonded with you if you also put the effort in.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have four budgies and my first one is still very bonded with me. She was very friendly to begin with (she was a rescue that was supposedly not tame, maybe she knew I rescued her and that's why she was so friendly), and has remained that way despite getting her a mate and having children. All of my budgies live together in one cage and it hasn't made them untame or anything. They love to be in their cage as well and housing them together is a big reason why. Even when the door is open they all hang out together in the cage, but they're still very friendly.

I think parrots are more intelligent and social than we give them credit for. I have eight parrots and they each have a cage mate and are bonded but they still love my company and hate when I leave the room. I thought they would be happy with their friends and not want me around anymore (and I was prepared for that as I didn't want them to think of me as their mate, and wanted them to be happy birds with their own kind), but I was very wrong and they still crave my company, even the budgies. Even when they hear me come home they call out to me and it's different to their warning sound when anyone else comes home. They even move to try and stop me leaving the room if they think I'm leaving them. And wherever I am, they all hang around me and watch me which is kind of scary.

I think it does them the world of good to have another bird with them, birds can give them companionship that a person can't. And they should still stay bonded with you if you also put the effort in.
It sounds like you have a wonderful group of very happy budgies!

ThatCatAgain

Aug 16, 2023
Algeria
Parrots
Budgies

Thanks in advance
If you can't get another cage for the female,then it's alright!
You don't have to. Only if the female or the male aren't ready to meet each other. The couples might fight each other in some cases,which is going to lead one of them to die. So,this belong to you.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If you can't get another cage for the female,then it's alright!
You don't have to. Only if the female or the male aren't ready to meet each other. The couples might fight each other in some cases,which is going to lead one of them to die. So,this belong to you.
You really need to get another cage. If you don't, and the two start to fight you won't have the ability to separate them quickly and one or both can get injured. Then you'd be into vet bills which would be more than a $50 budgie cage. On that note, it's important for anyone acquiring a pet of any kind to be prepared for the financial commitment involved- cages, toys, vet bills, etc. I understand that some people can't afford these things, but if they truly can't, they shouldn't be getting a pet. Many toys can be homemade and you can get a second hand cage from an online marketplace like Craigslist. Saving on vet bills is harder.

Most Reactions