question on which bird is right for me

ShannonC

Dec 30, 2014
Hello I am new to this forum and have come here to get info if a bird is right for me. I am a huge animal lover and have seen green cheeks and find them so interesting and adorable. I would love to own a bird one day but want to get as much knowledge and info. First and foremost do birds do well with dogs. I have 3 pugs who are very laid back who gets along with our bunny. I would not consider a bird till we no longer have our bunny. Any info would be much appreciated
thanks
Shannon

LadySiobhan

Dec 21, 2014
Media
Parrots
Senegal -Honeybird
BH Pionus - Indigo
I have three dogs and worked diligently with them in order to have peace in the house. They know that a flying bird or bird who lands on the floor is off limits. I also did a lot of work around the dogs being near the birds to satisfy their curiously while being respectful and to give the parrots their space. It depends on the bird too I think. My senegal is not afraid to tell a dog to back off, but that means I have to keep and eye on things as they are all much bigger! My new parrot was initially afraid of them but quickly accepted them because they have been taught to be calm around the parrots. There is also no unsupervised time where they are all out together. All and all we are one big happy pet family :)

OP
S

ShannonC

Dec 30, 2014
Thank you! My 3 pugs are very laid back and have got a long with all animals. I also work from home too. So do most birds stay in their cage at night and if no one is home?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi Shannon, Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you are doing your research before bringing home a bird.

A lot of us have parrots and other pets. It's according to the individuals, but with dogs, training makes all the difference.

OP
S

ShannonC

Dec 30, 2014
Are there certain birds you would recommend to be around other pets and children. I have 3 children of my own and run a small daycare in my home

Most Reactions