Question Regarding age and travel

JimH2k

Dec 8, 2014
Southern California
Parrots
African Grey Congo *Coming home April 21,2015
Hello all, Total newby so please forgive me if this is a silly question. I have reserved my baby from a trusted breeder and have made arrangements to pick him/her up on April 21st 2015. Ready date is March but, I made the choice to delay pick up until that time due to travel plans. I don't want to bring the new baby home only to have to leave for a week. The breeder was very understanding and agreed to board the bird until I return so we can get a stable start together.

Got a call tonight from the breeder that my reserved baby has hatched, followed by information that he also has more on eggs that are due to hatch around 12/29. Those babies would be weened more aligned with the timing that i had requested and could save me money on boarding. I am not really concerned about the cost.
The breeder left the decision completely up to me so I am looking to you for advice. I just want to be sure that I am doing the best thing for the bird.

My thinking was that if i stick to the already hatched baby, it would be a little older when it came home and also a little older when we take a short road trip in June. Please let me know if you foresee any issue or advantage regarding bonding or the planned travel. Thank you.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
It's generally a good idea to take your bird on short excursions before taking longer trips, but most birds enjoy trips with their humans.....

Good luck.....

OP
J

JimH2k

Dec 8, 2014
Southern California
Parrots
African Grey Congo *Coming home April 21,2015
Thank you for your input. I do plan on short trips prior to the one in June. Any input on if the three week age difference would impact the bird being more ready socially or physically?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thank you for your input. I do plan on short trips prior to the one in June. Any input on if the three week age difference would impact the bird being more ready socially or physically?

Nah! Just teach him it's normal, and safe, and it will fall within his definition of normal and safe. Pattern him. The little ones are somewhat not all there yet mentally anyway. They are dependent on you at that age, and this teaches them not to be afraid, and to take their cue from you out there. Much the same way a parent bird would take a chick out and show him the ropes... So be the parent bird.

And actually, I like the idea of taking CAGS out... because they do tend to be prone to psychological plucking disorders when they don't learn to accept change. Wild birds travel considerable distances every day, and they deal with predators, and all the scary things african birds have to deal with on a daily basis. NONE of them pluck!

THE ONES THAT SIT AT HOME ALONE, INSIDE A CAGE "PROTECTED?!" Yeah. Exactly. Lack of stimulation, lack of exposure to change, and then, over time boredom and ANYTHING different about the room becomes something to fret over...

These guys, in their natural state are instigators, and curious, and stubborn.

They are also skittish and tend to fly off at the drop of a hat, so clipped, or harnessed...

And as long as it doesn't overwhelm him, it's all good. They study everything and learn quickly...

Most Reactions