Question

Sossy1973

Feb 20, 2013
Mercer County, NJ
Parrots
Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Hi Everyone.... I have recently adopted an 8 year old sulfur crested too from a woman who hand fed her from a baby, but hasn't had the time for her over the past year. I have had her for about two weeks now, and she was a little shy when I went to get her, but by the ride home, she completely warmed up to me. We are in love. Lol. That being said, I was wondering if someone can tell me what the heck it means when she (CoCo) constantly puts my finger in her mouth and rapidly jerks it up and down and makes a little squealing sound. I mean that's all she wants to do whenever I am holding or playing with her. :white1: hope someone can let me know.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sossy1973

Feb 20, 2013
Mercer County, NJ
Parrots
Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
:grey: Sorry everyone....I also have another question. CoCo is 8 years old, and she can say hello and she can wave....which is too cute. I'm wondering if at her age, is it still possible for her to increase her vocabulary. I've always wanted a bird that talks, and I've read that they can continue to learn new words, just wondering if anyone has had this type of experience. :p

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Yes, parrots have the capacity to increase their vocabulary & learn tricks, provided they want to & if you develop a real good relationship with a bird, they are often interested expanding their repertoire.....

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
The younger the bird the easier it is to learn words. Even though she is eight she could still learn words, just with more training. Dont know about jerking up and down, cockatoos are really playfully birds so it could just be a new way of playing.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Yes ! Thanks copperarabian , I was thinking about that. It's sounds like as if she wants your finger to regurgitate for you

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i agree. she could want food from your finger. but i guess thats better than her thinking your finger is the food. lol. and yes birds can always learn new word and tricks no matter what age.

Birdlover11- i have to disagree. i beleive birds can learn just as easily when adults as babies. you just have to know how to train them.

OP
S

Sossy1973

Feb 20, 2013
Mercer County, NJ
Parrots
Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Thanks to everyone for the information. I was thinking myself that she was maybe trying to feed from my finger. She is relentless with it. She doesn't hurt or anything, but if I hold her for an hour, she will do it continuously. I'm just surprised being that she is 8 years old. I really appreciate the info. I will post a video of it tomorrow. I'm sure ill have lots more questions along the way. Thanks to all my new friends. Nite.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If a parrot doesn't learn a lot of phrases when they are young, chances are, they wont learn a lot more as adults. It doesn't mean that they can't learn more, just don't expect them to start talking in context and phrases.

If a parrot does learn to talk a lot at a young age, they have a higher chance of learning new words and phrases as adults.

At least, this seems to be what I've noticed. There is a "critical age" where many human infants and animals must learn to survive and communicate. If they don't learn a lot within this period, it can be harder for them to learn once they are mature.

As far as the finger behavior... you might want to try redirecting the behavior by teaching her new behaviors to do instead.... i.e. "big eagle", turn around, shake head yes, shake head no, pick up an object and drop it into a cup, dance, etc. This will teach her desirable behavior, and the more she gets rewarded for doing it, the less likely she is to perform undesirable behavior.

Most Reactions