Question

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
How long do you guys keep your birdies out of the cage? Is there a too much limit?

No limit, so long as they are locked away safely at night or when you can't properly supervise, than they can be out for as long as you want. I leave my birds out all day, lock up is at 8:30pm and I open the cages at 7am in the morning when I clean them. Unfortunately on Tuesdays and Wednesday when no one is home they have to be locked up until I get home from school. But other than that there is really no limits.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
On a weekday she's out for two hours in the morning, then between four and five in the evening. More at the weekend.

Sorry, wanted to edit this: I mean between four and five hours in the evening, not between the hours of four and five.

Last edited:

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Hmm... Meiko is still a baby, and he doesn't get along with my dog, so he is only out like 3 hours on the weekdays and about 5 on the weekends.. I dunno if that's not enough or what, but I have to spend time with my other animals too.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I used to have my entire flock cage-free in a room and loved it!!!!

Now though, they are all back to being in cages. Some birds come out when I open the cage doors, other's don't. The ones that do may not always come out... but three, without a doubt, will always come out when I open their doors! The time they spend out of their cages varies each day, but they get far more out of cage time on weekends than during the weekday!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
All my healthy birds live cage-free. Only the handicapped and my 'special' pet which lives in the dining room are caged and she comes out 4 to 5 hours a day. Birds were not created to live in cages...

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Our cages are open all day long, as long as someone is home.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Lilo is out as long as I can have her, she needs the outside cage time or she will hate me forever! :p

Most Reactions