Questions about getting an Eclectus or African Grey Parrot

nanachi

Dec 9, 2019
Hey!
I am kind of in your shoes (16) so I can spread some light onto the situation.
My starter bird was a budgie. I had three of them and they all lived until about nine.
I then got a baby cockatiel. He unfortunately passed away because the owner sold him before he was weaned, and I likely messed up on hand feeding or keeping him at a proper temperature along the way.

With school and college coming up, I would not recommend an electus or a grey.
I know you have heard this a lot and it is probably frustrating because you know what you want. All I want to say is that even if you have done research, but have no experience with parrots, I REALLY donā€™t suggest starting with a grey.

Thereā€™s a lot to them.
Thereā€™s a lot to parrots in general.
A good beginner bird that has an equal amount of charm, just not the best talking ability, would be a cockatiel.

Since my baby passed away I rescued two from a shelter.
And they are the best things ever!

Iā€™m not trying to change your mind, but under the circumstances iā€™m not sure if a grey is the best choice. Body language, attitude and fiestyness is a BIG thing to be aware of and grasp with parrots. Sometimes greys can be hard to read.

I think having experience with a smaller bird - especially while you are at school/college - is a good first start to your awesome journey to being a future parront! :yellow1:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hey!
I am kind of in your shoes (16) so I can spread some light onto the situation.
My starter bird was a budgie. I had three of them and they all lived until about nine.
I then got a baby cockatiel. He unfortunately passed away because the owner sold him before he was weaned, and I likely messed up on hand feeding or keeping him at a proper temperature along the way.

With school and college coming up, I would not recommend an electus or a grey.
I know you have heard this a lot and it is probably frustrating because you know what you want. All I want to say is that even if you have done research, but have no experience with parrots, I REALLY donā€™t suggest starting with a grey.

Thereā€™s a lot to them.
Thereā€™s a lot to parrots in general.
A good beginner bird that has an equal amount of charm, just not the best talking ability, would be a cockatiel.

Since my baby passed away I rescued two from a shelter.
And they are the best things ever!

Iā€™m not trying to change your mind, but under the circumstances iā€™m not sure if a grey is the best choice. Body language, attitude and fiestyness is a BIG thing to be aware of and grasp with parrots. Sometimes greys can be hard to read.

I think having experience with a smaller bird - especially while you are at school/college - is a good first start to your awesome journey to being a future parront! :yellow1:

But the same rules apply in terms of care for small birds---they are just as smart and need just as much care and structure. The benefit of smaller birds is that they are less intimidating/powerful, so the damage resulting from a beak or bite is going to be less.

Most Reactions

Latest posts