Questions about lovebird genetics?

ItsAmandaYall

Feb 13, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello, I've never owned a lovebird before. I have contacted a breeder and she told me her current pair is a olive green slate peach faced & a dutch blue lovebird. Can you breed those species together? Will they be "mutts"? Anything else I should ask the breeder? What are your thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
they're the same species: peach faced lovebirds. but different mutations. the babies won't be "mutts" or hybrids. ;)

9 species of lovebirds, many, many mutations.

mutation refers to the colour variation of the species.

both of my lovebirds are peach faced lovebirds. but Munch is a single dark factor single violet factor seagreen peach faced lovebird. Mango is a single dark factor seagreen pied peach faced lovebird. peach face is species, the rest is mutation.

the breeder is referring to two peach faced mutations.

photos would confirm this though.

there are many mutations for the peach faced lovebird, which can make it very confusing. most can be bred together, as they are the same species. ino mutations should not be bred together, and double dark factors should not be bred together. but it's a mutation thing there, not a species thing.

Last edited:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
if you did buy the pair, they would make very interesting babies.
I would ask their ages, are they banded, how many clutches they have had, and # of eggs per clutch, how often they had clutches. No more than 3 per year is best....even that is too much for the mother.
this just gives you an indication how healthy they are.
what type of nesting box do they prefer, and what do they prefer for nesting material.
some lovebirds prefer shredding newspaper(that is not recommended though) or care fresh, aspen shavings etc...

Also ask her the basics, what foods they are given, and any nutritional supplements given.
Dally is spot on with all of her info :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts