Questions regarding Indian Ringneck

o.spellman14

May 3, 2015
Hi :)

I was wondering if someone could help me with some advice. Around 5 days ago I picked up my indian ringneck rocky and I think he is around 10 weeks old. I picked him up from a bredder who assured me he was tame which he was for the first day, I could get him out, he'd hop onto my hand and I could walk around the house with him just sat on my shoulder and no bother. But the second day I came home from work and got him out of his cage, he was a bit nibbly and started biting, I ignored the bites and didnt react. Now I just feel he is slightly aggressive towards me and has had a bad first impression of me and im really lost with what to do. He will take food from my hand through the bars and he does chuckle and chirp when im around him sometimes but im pretty sure if I put my hand in for him to step up or something he may bite, but I dont want to keep him cooped up in his cage Im not sure whether it would be best for me to try and interact to help me start training with him but i am also not sure if he is to young for training yet, I just really do need a second opinion

thanks

Shakti

May 4, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks, Conure, Lovebirds and Doves
I adopted an Indian Ringneck a couple of month ago and he just started to open up. He kisses me a lot and it took him over a month to feel secure to display and make noises, I am not sure if people use to hit the cage where he was at before. My point is that Indian Ringnecks are very deep and emotional birds .They need time to build trust and get to know you. You literary need to communicate with them and honour them as a part of your family, like a child. Then the bird will gain trust over time and love you . You can not have expectations for them to do what you want them to do , you have to love the bird unconditionally and be patient with the relationship that can take years to develop. They live for a very long time, they are not ornaments or toys for us to have, they are extremely sensitive and the biting is just a way they communicate with each other. Please do not keep him in a cage, make him a play gym, get him lots of toys, they love toys , stuffies , things to do. They get bored easelly. When the ringneck sees your love , he will open up and respect you. You need to work with him and be patient, give it fresh apples , get to know the parrot , get to know what he likes, do not expect too much in the beginning. Its a relationship which needs a lot of giving in order to get something back. Good luck.

OP
O

o.spellman14

May 3, 2015
Thanks for reply its given me a much better insight! I really dont want to keep him in the cage but I read somewhere to let them settle in there cage for a while but I really wasnt sure on that so I came here, what would you recommend doing with him in terms of getting him out of his cage and playing with him or even just so he can be out to gain comfortability and confidence? Because I don't think he would step up if I put my hand in, but I feel as though he has gained a bit more trust with me as he will take treats through the bars and from me from inside the cage aswell, thanks again for your reply I really appreciate the help and advice

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
I had an IRN and use this method to build trust and bonding

You have 4 post(s) in this thread, last 02-02-2015
Sticky Thread Sticky: Tips for Bonding and Building Trust (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Delfin
03-08-2015 12:15 AM
by jado Go to last post
14 1,956
Lm

Shakti

May 4, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks, Conure, Lovebirds and Doves
You can make him a play gym with toys , a mirror, something for him to do. His outside set up place. Then you can give treats, speak to him and bond over time.

OP
O

o.spellman14

May 3, 2015
thank you for the link I'll be sure to look at it asap, ok I've made him one today, I've made a stand with a few perches on amd some toys, does that sound ok? How should I bring him out the cage if he may bite and not step up?

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Parrots don't use biting has communication.
Biting Isn't "Natural". Conflicts resolutions in birds. Instead they are handled with body language and vocalizations, not biting.
It is important to understand that parrots in the wild rarely appear to use their beaks as a weapon against other parrots.

If needed, the beak is a protection against predators such as snakes and raptors (birds of prey), but not against others in their own flock. In their natural environments, competition and/ or conflict between parrots rarely escalates to physical violence.

Instead, they vocalize (scream) and/or use body language by strutting, posturing, and fluffing feathers to make themselves look bigger. Beaks are used for climbing, eating, playing (wrestling) and preening... not for biting each other.

I tolerate the bite, which can be really hard at times. Under NO circumstances should you yell. Instead say No biting or naughty bird in a firm and displeased voice and give the bird a very dirty look. Show the bird your displeasure by giving it a REALLY DIRTY LOOK ("The Evil Eye"). Serious -- you have to look at it as if it were the lowest of the low, or pond scum, or something you might find stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Parrots are extremely empathetic creatures who watch our facial expressions closely. He will understand your displeasure if you give him a tremendously dirty look. The bird will understand that you are unhappy and will try very hard not to do it again.

Go to the link I sent you.

Swill55

Jun 5, 2015
Tn
Parrots
Male Eclectus died 2 weeks ago- only 15 years old
Found a blue male Indian Ringneck
sorry, the page was not found. What did I do wrong

Most Reactions

Latest posts