quick question about my shampoo

lifeformed

Apr 11, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I have this shampoo I recently got because I realized the scent of mint/peppermint calms me down. I immediately ordered some shampoo and conditioner I could find for a good price off amazon and didn't even think about my Conure Mango. I was just curious because when I try to look into it all and I feel like an idiot. Can you guys let me know if this is okay? What about if I wait for it to dry after use and then go see Mango? Thanks for the help

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Bump!

As long as the smell isn’t super strong I think it’s probably fine.
I use unscented shampoo but my hair still smells like soap.

Someone else should chime in though!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Bump!

As long as the smell isn’t super strong I think it’s probably fine.
I use unscented shampoo but my hair still smells like soap.

Someone else should chime in though!
My understanding which has been supported by reading reliable online sources is that most birds do not have a highly developed sense of smell. English Sparrows will kill nesting bluebirds in nestboxes and build their own nests on top of the stinky rotting corpses, oblivious of to stink below Their poor sense of smell is one of the reasons human scent on eggs and chicks doesn't trigger them to reject them after they've been handled. I haven't heard whether seeing them handled can trigger rejection. Birds' vision and hearing are their most important senses. Most birds apparently don't have a very well developed sense of taste either. The appearance and texture of food items are the most important qualities.
Exceptions include vultures and other carrion eating birds that

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My understanding which has been supported by reading reliable online sources is that most birds do not have a highly developed sense of smell. English Sparrows will kill nesting bluebirds in nestboxes and build their own nests on top of the stinky rotting corpses, oblivious of to stink below Their poor sense of smell is one of the reasons human scent on eggs and chicks doesn't trigger them to reject them after they've been handled. I haven't heard whether seeing them handled can trigger rejection. Birds' vision and hearing are their most important senses. Most birds apparently don't have a very well developed sense of taste either. The appearance and texture of food items are the most important qualities.
Exceptions include vultures and other carrion eating birds that
And some seabirds may also rely on smell to find food. As I said, this is information I learned from reading and studying reliable sources. That said, I doubt the scent of your hair products would bother your birds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Since we are talking specifically about peppermint! One needs to be very careful as peppermint additives are used in deep clearing shampoo's which can be dangerous to the digestive system of birds and are recommended for limited use by Humans.

There is a difference between active peppermint and something that may kind of smell something like it. All aroma's are not governed by Federal oversight and care should be used when around your Parrot.

I am not aware of the product and am not in a position to provide a recommendation, other than it could be a great gift to someone without Pets.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The aroma
Since we are talking specifically about peppermint! One needs to be very careful as peppermint additives are used in deep clearing shampoo's which can be dangerous to the digestive system of birds and are recommended for limited use by Humans.

There is a difference between active peppermint and something that may kind of smell something like it. All aroma's are not governed by Federal oversight and care should be used when around your Parrot.

I am not aware of the product and am not in a position to provide a recommendation, other than it could be a great gift to someone without Pets.
The aroma fumes from any chemical can potentially harm the respiratory tract of our birds. I can't imagine the scent from a shampoo that lingers after rinsing can be harmful but we are all free to chose to be as cautious as we feel comfortable.

Most Reactions