quiet conure started screeching

Caldwell

Dec 20, 2011
Chandler, Arizona
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure, Mikau
Hi everyone,

I've had Mikau for 7 months now, he is a male 2 year old crimson bellied conure and for the most part he has been very quiet and relaxed.
just the other day he started screeching high pitch and really fast. Everytime I go in to check on him he's just sitting perfectly normal as if nothing is wrong. He gets between 1-4 hours out of his cage a day depending on how much time I have. At night he sleeps with his cage covered. I haven't made any sudden changes that I can think of so I dont know why he would start this all of the sudden. If he's screeching and I go in he stops, but if he sees me go to the door he screeches again. If I leave the room and screeches for probably 5 minutes then stops, then starts up randomly and does it for anywhere from 1 minute to 10. I live in a large house with no close neighbors so I won't get into any trouble from him making noise its just I want to know whats causing this and work out a solution.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
It sounds like he has attachment issues and everything you go in there while he is screaming you only make it worse.
Sully and Bella did the same thing, you just have to ignore them while they are doing it and then when they stop you can go in and check on them. If you go in there every time he screams you just teach him it's ok to do it and he will learn that by screaming he can get you to hang out with him.
He just wants more attention, maybe try moving him to the living room so he won't be lonley, that way he can still be with you.

OP
C

Caldwell

Dec 20, 2011
Chandler, Arizona
Parrots
OK that makes perfect sense. I will ignore him until he calms down before I check on him. Thanks guys I was just concerned about him.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Has anything changed in the room, or that he can see from the room? I ask because with my GCC, a high, rapid Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack is definitely his alarm call and it is distinct from the sounds he makes when he's trying to get my attention. Of course, it could be learned as a way to get attention if something genuinely scared him but he connected you're checking it out with that specific call.

I will answer a single contact call with a return call, but not repeated screeching.

OP
C

Caldwell

Dec 20, 2011
Chandler, Arizona
Parrots
Nothing in the room has changed but I just remembered my stereo is set to come on at a certain time. It plays really quietly and its usually Howard stern so its mostly people talking. Maybe he hears things that startle him from that?

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Nothing in the room has changed but I just remembered my stereo is set to come on at a certain time. It plays really quietly and its usually Howard stern so its mostly people talking. Maybe he hears things that startle him from that?

If I had to listen to Howard Stern I would scream too :)

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Noise is good, not sure about that noise though lol

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛

If I had to listen to Howard Stern I would scream too :)

Bahahaha!!

Yeah he might have separation anxiety! ChiChi does. Lol. I loved that thread tho about training them not to screech. We're working on it now. And so far so good. He's getting much better. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts