R.I.P. Slash, My Baby Duck

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I've been thinking about you Ellen, and Axel. This is such a nightmare to go through. At least the authorities are on your side thank goodness. Axel is a beautiful boy.

At least here, if you have a dog who bites a human with no proof of rabies vaccination, they get confiscated, euthanized, and the head gets cut off and sent to the state lab for post mortem testing of the brain for rabies. Apparently there's no way to find out while living? I used to work for a veterinary laboratory, and once found a box in my lab fridge. It was said to be a dog head to be shipped off for testing. Not sure about the law for cats.

I am so mad at your neighbors. Both the cat owner and the idiot across the street. I'm so sorry! How are your deepest scratches and bites doing today?
I know they euthanize and examine the brain tissue of rodents it someone is bitten by them, I believe with dogs and cats they have to be exhibiting signs or symptoms or rabies to automatically do that, I don't know though, it wasn't brought up, only that if I wanted to press bodily harm charges, because this is the second offense for these people with this cat, they would take the cat and they would have to go to court and let a judge decide if they got the cat back. If not it would go to the county SPCA, then be euthanized. I didn't want that, it's not the cat's fault...

I'm fine. I've been using Hibiclens on all of the cuts and bites, and nothing appears to be infected, no red streaking, pus, swelling, etc. Just ugly, lol.

I truly appreciate all of the support from everyone here, it's been a very tough 2 days but you guys have made it much easier for me, and I thanks you for that.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
There still so tremendously angers me! You may be OK and recovering, but your baby is dead!
I'm well aware, I've been breaking into tears all day long, every time someone talks to me about it...That's why I love you guys, you understand. Everyone else except for the animal control officer has been feeling sorry for the cat, which I do too, it's not his fault his owners are irresponsible jerks, but it's like a duck is just a duck. That cat ripped my sweet little boy apart. Ducks don't even have a hard beak to bite with, let alone teeth or claws. He was defenseless. And the fact that I did CPR for at least half an hour while simultaneously holding my shirt on the worst bleeder to try and save him didn't even phase my neighbor across the street...

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
There still so tremendously angers me! You may be OK and recovering, but your baby is dead!
I'm well aware, I've been breaking into tears all day long, every time someone talks to me about it...That's why I love you guys, you understand. Everyone else except for the animal control officer has been feeling sorry for the cat, which I do too, it's not his fault his owners are irresponsible jerks, but it's like a duck is just a duck. That cat ripped my sweet little boy apart. Ducks don't even have a hard beak to bite with, let alone teeth or claws. He was defenseless. And the fact that I did CPR for at least half an hour while simultaneously holding my shirt on the worst bleeder to try and save him didn't even phase my neighbor across the street...

Your neighbor? I truly believe in you reap what you sow!

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
While I certainly understand your reasoning on not pressing charges, my I play devil's advocate? If you don't press charges and they keep their cat, nothing changes. The cat will go on to impregnate other cats, kill more wildlife and possibly kill someone else's pet, or another of yours. I *know* it sucks to think of the cat being taken away and euthanized. But the euthanizing of this cat is very likely to save a lot of heartache, whether seen or unseen, by other animals, and people, in the future. The neighbors have been crystal clear that nothing is going to change with them. They don't care about their cat, or other pets and wildlife in the area. They don't care that he is creating more unwanted kittens, when we euthanize a million unwanted cats in this country every year. Animal control did not enforce a neuter order, or even a rabies order, the last time the cat was a problem to a neighbor, so neuter and rabies likely won't get done this time, either.

Yes, to test for rabies the cat would be euthanized then his brain sent for testing. But if negative, you don't have to continue the post-exposure shots.

I 100% agree with you that this is not the cat's fault, but the owners'. So the cat being taken, euthanized and tested is not your fault, it is the owners'. Leaving the cat with these people is likely to not end well for anyone, including the cat.

Best wishes to you and Axel.

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
GCC, Juliet ✝ (2015-2023)
Found an abandoned duck egg today and thought of you, Ellen. divine providence? I feel like I should try to keep it warm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Found an abandoned duck egg today and thought of you, Ellen. divine providence? I feel like I should try to keep it warm...

Ha ha, yes, please do, they make wonderful pets! And grow so quickly, I got them at a week old!

I understand both sides of the argument regarding this cat, trust me, I have been going over this in my head constantly for 3 days now. It's a torturous decision to have to make. The main reason I chose not to press charges and to go through the entire rabies shot thing is because when the animal control officer was talking to them about this being their cat's second incident, and it was up to me to press the charges that would end up in the cat being taken away from them and more than likely euthanized, that was the first time I saw any emotion come out of these people, other than anger and rage towards me for kicking the cat. They were freaking out and the woman started crying, and then she started yelling at her husband going "See what happens? Now what? I told you not to let him run anymore. Now what?" and the husband going "He wants out. He always wants out. I'm not listening to him scratch at the damn door anymore, he's an outdoor cat. He's going outdoors. I can't believe we can't press charges against this ***** for beating his ass but she can get him taken away from me. He's my cat, my house, and my say. End of story." This was while she was sitting on the curb balling her eyes out and he was telling her to shut up and calling her a weak ass, saying this was her fault, among other things I won't repeat but I'm sure you can imagine. The husband is nothing but a bully and the kind of guy where it's "his house, his cat, his car, his wife...his property". There's a lot going on there that's none of my business but I felt badly for the wife, though I wish she would've just kicked him in the crotch and told him to get his stuff and get out...I hate it when people allow themselves to be treated like the property of someone else, typically it's women though I have seen men being abused in this way by women. Either way I figured that she didn't need to lose her cat on top of dealing with him. Plus, had I pressed charges and they lost the cat, he may have really gone off the deep end on her, so I don't need that on my conscience either. If that cat gets caught running free again it's going to be destroyed, so I really hope that jerk pulls his head out of his butt, grows up, and does the responsible thing, but I doubt it.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Maybe a deal. They find another home for the cat and it goes away, and you don't press charges. Or you can go ahead to press charges if they decline, and when faced with the option of rehoming or losing the cat they will choose the former. He's made it clear that he won't keep the cat inside, and it will continue to prey on the neighborhood. If it comes on your yard and you chase or kick or hose squirt it without it attacking your egg producing livestock, then they can press charges against you.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Or a better deal. Tell her she can rehome her husband and you'll let it all go.

Most Reactions