Rage in the Cage

Tristis

Jan 9, 2014
lol best title. ;)

I have a little Green Cheek Conure. He's about 11months old now, and he's just recently decided that he should defend his cage. He poofs himself out and try's to bite. He just started doing it a few days ago when I put him back in his cage, then the other day when I changed his water, and now tonight he tried to attack my boyfriends daughter when he was on top of his cage and she tried to pick him up.

Normally I just ignore him when he's being bitey and that works well, but this is more of a deliberate attack. Not too sure what to do about it. I should mention that I'm fairly new to birds.

Any ideas?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I think it's fairly common for conures to get territorial around their cages, seasonal hormones can cause it to be even more intense. You are right to not handle him when he is nippy. If you react in any way, he may see it as a reward and bite more rather than less. Parrots love drama and a human yelling Ow is usually highly entertaining for them. Try moving him away from his cage before handling him. I would be careful allowing children to approach him while he's on his cage, at least for the time being. Hopefully it will pass and he will get back to normal soon.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I agree with Allee. My crimson bellied conure is very cage protective, and is okay once he is away form his cage:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I hope you are around to see this, still!

My recommendation is to stop ignoring him. If he bites, and you ignore the bite, then you are essentially ignoring him and what he's trying to say.

My suggestion would be to start offering him treats while he's on or in his cage. If he tries to bite when you offer the treat then get a 'designated treat cup' that you can drop treats into so he can look forward to when you come by the cage. Every time you walk by, drop something inside the cup.

Keep doing this for several days. Once he gets excited about your presence, then start working on stepping up from the cage. This is easiest sometimes from the top of the cage, or by placing a perch on the outside of the cage. Either way, put the step up hand down on the cage/perch then put the treat hand over the step up hand and away from you. Encourage your bird to come to you for treats. As he gets comfortable taking the food from you, slowly bring your treat hand closer to you.

If you continue with this kind of training, he'll look forward to you coming to the cage and will be less aggressive around his cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts