Rain, Thunder and much more............

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I hope the other forum members have not had damage from the very bad storm of Friday evening. It has been absolute .... Power here went off Friday night after such a horrible storm. The lightening was non stop as was the thunder. I looked into the woods in back of my apt. and I could see sparks hit the ground. It was like a cowboy shoot out with spot lights all over. So now, Monday, we have help from other states and Md. is now a disaster area. Last night my power came on full for about 1 hr. I was so happy. Then don't you know it another lightening storm hit us and power went out again. Today I have partial power and can use dim lights, computer and my fan at low speed only. All food in frig thrown away, stove will not cook and microwave is down for the count. I am feeding Rosie the dry food, crumbled corn bread with baby food. I have gone through so many bags of ice I cannot count. I am so tired of cleaning up the flood after it melts. No more ice. I pray other people in the area have coped well and gone to a cooling station. I did not because if my pets stay home I stay home. We are forcast to have severe storm again the holiday. What is wrong with our weather??

Last edited:

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I grew up in GA, so dangerous summer storms aren't unfamiliar, but when that storm came through I had that same alarmed feeling in my gut I used to get in Ga when things were getting to the 'seek shelter' stage. I almost told my husband to gather the cats and dogs and head down to the basement while I got the bird and reptiles, but we stuck it out anyway. We escaped any power outages or damage, which was a little amazing given that many of my friends in the area are without power and some of those friends live less than 10 minutes from me. Where we're positioned is in a valley and normally storms break up before they blast us, but this year has been nuts. I've gotten some amazing pics though!

Saturday I threw a party here and we bought 3 bags of ice and needed more. A few friends went out in search of more and came back quite a while later saying that none of the area stores had any ice. I feel awful for people without power in this heat. I hope they get it back on soon!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Oh wow , Im sorry Spiritbird !! The weather is really strange now.
Im afraid of what to think actually , all this global warming stuff makes me nervous.
I know its inevitable , the way we ( humans) treat Mother Earth ...

I would have done the same think you did , I would have stayed behind with my animals.
Wild horses couldn't drag me away from my "kids". No pun intended.

Stay safe honey , i hope the storms end quickly.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I hope your storm ends soon D :(

I dont know what has happened to the Weather this Year :11:

We have now had rain in the UK for 5 Weeks, and this is supposed to be our Summer :eek: It is so depressing :(

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I'm always wary about storms. When Cyclone Yasi hit us last year, we lost power for 7 days. I wasn't keeping many fish tanks/aquariums at the time, so I didn't have any losses; but now that I have about 9 different fish tanks, it's a constant worry.

Looking back at the pictures, I'm amazed that we didn't have any major damage. We lost several trees, but no damage to the house.

Absolutely devastated the habitat for our native cassowaries though. The poor guys were starving and were venturing into small towns in search of food because their rainforest had been torn up.

338054-cyclone-yasi.jpg

Even the news reports on it were pretty scary.

320982-monster-at-our-door.jpg

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I hope the other forum members have not had damage from the very bad storm of Friday evening. It has been absolute .... Power here went off Friday night after such a horrible storm. The lightening was non stop as was the thunder. I liked into the woods in back of my apt. and I could see sparks hit the ground. It was like a cowboy shoot out with spot lights all over. So now, Monday, we have help from other states and Md. is now a disaster area. Last night my power came on full for about 1 hr. I was so happy. Then don't you know it another lightening storm hit us and power went out again. Today I have partial power and can use dim lights, computer and my fan at low speed only. All food in frig thrown away, stove will not cook and microwave is down for the count. I am feeding Rosie the dry food, crumbled corn bread with baby food. I have gone through so many bags of ice I cannot count. I am so tired of cleaning up the flood after it melts. No more ice. I pray other people in the area have coped well and gone to a cooling station. I did not because if my pets stay home I stay home. We are forcast to have severe storm again the holiday. What is wrong with our weather??

I hope regardless, everything clears up for you soon!!

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Sorry to hear about your bad weather event. Hope you have full power back.
It is always devastating after a storm like that. Being from Texas we are accustomed to a lot of storms. They are always very frightening.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
so sorry but glad to hear you are alright. Those storms were incredable. the weather station said 12 states were hit with winds up to ninety mph and horrible thunderstorms. I agree that the weather around the world in the last few years is getting really scary. Hope you get your power back soon. Alison and sweetie pie:)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
we were lucky, didn't lose electric~ sorry SB, lots of my friends got it back on last night, hopefully you did too!

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Got full power back on Tuesday morning. I hope to never see a bag of ice again. Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Thats great !!! Hope all returns to normal soon for you.
Good to hear from you too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts