Random bitting!

kimmyj

Apr 12, 2012
Newcastle Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
So in the last few days zig has been random bitting people its not like just a nibble its a bite!
she has never been like this before. i was sitting on the lounge with my partner n she was sitting on my shoulder and she walked over to my partner sat on his shoulder for a few minutes and then bit him for no reason on the ear! it was soooo hard to. the next day she bit my mum on the chin when she saw her but i dont know why. Zig loves these 2 people. and then last night she came out of her hiding hole (she does that if u have been out) to say hello and then bit me on the hand!
i thought i was so lucky with zig because she has never been one to bite she normally says nooooo! then bite u.
she isnt even one yet!
why is she doing this? will she keep doing it? how do i stop her? i dont want people to be scared of her!!!!!
i understand that owning a bird u will get bitten every once in a while but why has she started doing this now?
how do i stop her?
:(

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
What is her "hiding hole"? Is she nesting? If so, this is likely hormonal behavior.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
My exact question a hiding hole? are you letting her walk on your floor?
Is she hiding under your couch, coffee table, entertainment center etc....

If so do not allow her to walk on your floors and for precaution block her hiding area. If she has a Happy hut, or tube in cage take it away.

Eclectus hens can be nasty. When they walk on the floor they go into a scouting mode looking for a dark place to hide in . This is nesting behavior. Your sweet baby will go from so sweet to she devil in an instant and this behavior can continue for a couple days after even if she cannot access floors or hiding areas.

If a mature hen is allowed to walk on floors or dark hiding spaces they will bite and bite hard. She could be a darling in the cage but once placed on the floor within 30 seconds they can turn evil puff their feathers at you, wings not straight with their body they will also sway and shift their weight from foot to foot. If you touch them during this time by hand u can get a hard hard bite. Even if you pick her up with a stick hours or days later she could be moody and bite. Keep her off the floor and away from any dark hiding places.

I now let my girl on my breakfast bar she will walk around it every morning as i am prepairing her meal and again at night. She likes to walk around but this is her only time allowed to walk on a flat surface. She does not get moody and stays in a balanced mood.

Most Reactions

Latest posts