RE: Which parrots are best for a family with a child and a newborn

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Re: Which parrots are best for a family with a child and a newborn

Cuddle bird?!

Green cheek conure... comes immediately to mind. Any conure for that matter, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T MIND THE NOISE AND THE MESS THAT COMES WITH THEM.

THERE ARE NO BIRDS THAT ARE NOT MESSY... NONE OF THEM... ZERO.

There are very few "quiet" birds.

CUDDLE BIRDS? Macaws and toos, but they are HIGH MAINTENANCE... amazons IF they are properly trained. Conures. Tiels can be. Caiques in a high energy playful way. SENNIES can be, and then they can turn on you in an instant and let you have it. (SennieTude.)

Last edited:
OP
I

IlikeParrots

Apr 26, 2017
NOSY PEOPLE ALERT
Parrots
I have no parrots but am so interested

Thanks Birdman. Also, i have read on this forum that it is horrible for a bird to bought from a pet shop and not adopt one at a bird rescue. Is this true because otherwise i would have to drive all over UAE to find a single bird rescue. Not saying i am against the idea because i want to adopt one from a bird rescue but where in UAE? Another thing, like i mentioned, i live in UAE, one of the hottest countries in the world. I should keep the cage inside right? UAE weather can reach 50 C (world record) and average is like 35 C in summer. I would still have a small aviary, also, how many hours a day should i let my parrot out for?

OP
I

IlikeParrots

Apr 26, 2017
NOSY PEOPLE ALERT
Parrots

Thank you guys for your posts, any other tips please share because i love parrots and have now changed my dream occupation from Video gamer and youtuber to Veterinary Technologist Exotic Birds (PARROTS)

OP
I

IlikeParrots

Apr 26, 2017
NOSY PEOPLE ALERT
Parrots

Thank you so much for these tips and anymore please share

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

For my North American Friends, the only place we have that can from time to time get close to 35 degrees C is Death Valley, which I believed has obtained only 32 C.

Regarding taking your Parrot outside. The Sand you have is very different from what near all of these Parrots are use to. It has very sharp edges and can easily scratch the eye. Also, the dry heat (near no humidity) can be very hard on Parrots from much wetter climates. As a result, outside time is very limited - targeting your few cooler months and periods of very little to no wind days.

I believe that Avian Vet care is very limited in your region, only the areas of very high population will have Vets that have some knowledge of Parrots. I see this as a huge block to safely caring for a Parrot. Determine the location of Avian Vet Care near you - find at least two and better three if possible.

You will likely need a very complete Avian Emergency 'First' Aid Kit and need to know how to use the majority of its supply. Top of the list will be Flushing Eyes and Nostrils. So, in addition to selecting a Parrot and learning to care for it, you will likely need to learn 'First' Aid Medical Care.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

TOO HOT FOR THEM OUTSIDE.

They live in the tropics, but they live high up in the shade of the canopy. Too hot and direct sunlight can and will cause heat stroke.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

You are asking some great questions, and I commend you for that. You have politely declined to reveal your age, but you also mentioned your parents and school so I'm assuming the newborn is your sibling and you are still a youth yourself. Are your parents willing to take on all of the financial responsibilities for a bird? What will happen to the bird when you go off to college/get married/grow up and start your own life? And in the meantime, how do you plan to keep the dog(s) and the cat separated from the bird? Just some things for you to think about and to clarify before you bring home your new companion. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions